• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   confuseddebtor

confuseddebtor

CIC Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

Hello Everyone!! Can someone who has actually done this, explain the steps you took to do so successfully? After paying off a judgement, do I contact the courts, and they will notify the credit bureaus? Or must I contact everyone individually? How do I notify the courts? Also, what documentation should I have as proof the debt was paid just in case it comes up in the future? Is a money order sufficient? Thank You :)

#2 OFFLINE   thomassl

thomassl

Amazed & Informed

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:37 PM

Hello Everyone!! Can someone who has actually done this, explain the steps you took to do so successfully? After paying off a judgement, do I contact the courts, and they will notify the credit bureaus? Or must I contact everyone individually? How do I notify the courts? Also, what documentation should I have as proof the debt was paid just in case it comes up in the future? Is a money order sufficient? Thank You :)

I would sincerely hope that the creditor who placed the judgment against you has answered all these questions when you were arranging payment. The above questions are the ones you need to ask them. They should contact both the courts and the credit bureaus. You can request copies of what they send the courts showing the judgment paid and also copies of the letters they send to the credit bureaus. This has been most successful for me in handling judgments. After I received my paperwork from the creditor I sent a copies of my papers to the credit bureaus disputing the debt first verbally before I sent my copies certified. This way they should receive both my copies of payment in full and also verification from the original creditor. I always check with the courts to make sure they have received the paperwork from the creditor and posted it. :)++
:hah: xsqueezex

#3 OFFLINE   Ahntara

Ahntara

500 posts and hasn't been banned yet....

• Members
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:01 AM

"...creditor...should contact both the courts and the credit bureau..."

The plaintiff may have an obligation under certain state's laws, to file the Satisfaction of Judgment. You can also undertake this task yourself, to ensure it is correct, complete and properly recorded.

Neither plaintiffs nor court clerks "report" judgment data. Like all legal items, they are Public Records - open for viewing by anyone. They find their way onto your CR by very convoluted methods.

"...How do I notify the courts..."

Procedures vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Your county or parrish's Clerk of Courts is a good place to start or you could ask a Consumer Law attorney.

"...What documentation should I have..."

You need the proper disposition to the legal action taken against you. For a judgment, that would be a Satisfaction of Judgment or an Order to Vacate Judgment. Make certain this document is recorded. Keep the original in a safe or safe deposit box. Obtain Certified Copies of the Satisfaction and send photocopies of those to the CRA's.
Credit Oracle, with just a *hint* of a smile!

#4 OFFLINE   confuseddebtor

confuseddebtor

CIC Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

I would sincerely hope that the creditor who placed the judgment against you has answered all these questions when you were arranging payment. The above questions are the ones you need to ask them. They should contact both the courts and the credit bureaus. You can request copies of what they send the courts showing the judgment paid and also copies of the letters they send to the credit bureaus. This has been most successful for me in handling judgments. After I received my paperwork from the creditor I sent a copies of my papers to the credit bureaus disputing the debt first verbally before I sent my copies certified. This way they should receive both my copies of payment in full and also verification from the original creditor. I always check with the courts to make sure they have received the paperwork from the creditor and posted it. :)++

Creditors and collectors discuss a lot of things with me, but I'm always leary about just taking their word for it. I was hoping someone who actually paid off a judgement could provide step by step procedures they took to insure everyone was notified. I will check into the part you mentioned about getting copies of what the creditor/collector submits to the court. Thanks :)

#5 OFFLINE   confuseddebtor

confuseddebtor

CIC Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

"...creditor...should contact both the courts and the credit bureau..."

The plaintiff may have an obligation under certain state's laws, to file the Satisfaction of Judgment. You can also undertake this task yourself, to ensure it is correct, complete and properly recorded.

Neither plaintiffs nor court clerks "report" judgment data. Like all legal items, they are Public Records - open for viewing by anyone. They find their way onto your CR by very convoluted methods.

"...How do I notify the courts..."

Procedures vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Your county or parrish's Clerk of Courts is a good place to start or you could ask a Consumer Law attorney.

"...What documentation should I have..."

You need the proper disposition to the legal action taken against you. For a judgment, that would be a Satisfaction of Judgment or an Order to Vacate Judgment. Make certain this document is recorded. Keep the original in a safe or safe deposit box. Obtain Certified Copies of the Satisfaction and send photocopies of those to the CRA's.

Hi Ahntara!! I'm not familiar with Satisfaction of Judgment or an Order to Vacate Judgment. The first one sounds like something I might need. What exactly is an SOJ? Is that a legal document showing when the judgement was paid obtained from the court or creditor/collector? Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   Ahntara

Ahntara

500 posts and hasn't been banned yet....

• Members
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

Legal items need their proper disposition. Paying it is a means to obtain that. Think of a granted judgment as your marriage license to a debt. Now, you can take up with another love, but if you want to marry your new honey, you have to get a divorce 1st. The Satisfaction is your divorce decree. OTV is more like an annulment.

Although judgments show on your CR and that's good reason to take care of them, that's not their only implication. Judgments may attach to any real property you own, clouding the title. This is why obtaining and properly recording a disposition is crucial. You obtain the disposition by going back to the court where the action was granted and following legal procedure there. This will vary by location.
Credit Oracle, with just a *hint* of a smile!

#7 OFFLINE   confuseddebtor

confuseddebtor

CIC Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

Legal items need their proper disposition. Paying it is a means to obtain that. Think of a granted judgment as your marriage license to a debt. Now, you can take up with another love, but if you want to marry your new honey, you have to get a divorce 1st. The Satisfaction is your divorce decree. OTV is more like an annulment.

Although judgments show on your CR and that's good reason to take care of them, that's not their only implication. Judgments may attach to any real property you own, clouding the title. This is why obtaining and properly recording a disposition is crucial. You obtain the disposition by going back to the court where the action was granted and following legal procedure there. This will vary by location.

Okie doke! Sounds good. Well, I'm looking to divorce a few hubbies. lol

#8 OFFLINE   argento05

argento05

CIC Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

I've been wondering the same thing and came across this

http://www.debt-cons...ad.php?t=261415

I hope it helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users