Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chandy

Unknown collections on credit report

11 posts in this topic

Recently when I checked my credit report, I saw a colleciton agency listed as one of my debtors. It listed the original creditor as a hospital in my area - but I don't recall going there ever.  I called the hospital, but they couldnt locate my account. So I called the collection agency and gave them the whatever information that was there on the credit report (something like a partial account number and an address identification number). The collection agency says they cant find the account without my SSN. I am not sure if it is okay to give them my SSN. What should I do ?

Edited by Chandy
added some more details.

31 minutes ago, Chandy said:

It listed the original creditor as a hospital in my area - but I don't recall going there ever.

I would start with the hospital billing department.  Call and speak to the MANAGER not the drone that answers the phone.  Inform them that there is a collection account from [agency] on your credit report and to the best of your knowledge you have never been a patient there and you would like to get this taken cleared up but the collection agency is refusing to cooperate. If the hospital has no account for you I would head straight to a consumer lawyer to sue the CA for poisoning your report and not using due diligence to ensure they were reporting on the correct consumer.

If it IS your account then you have a different issue to deal with.

Sorry I forgot to add that I called the hospital. They couldn't locate my account.

8 hours ago, Chandy said:

Sorry I forgot to add that I called the hospital. They couldn't locate my account.

I would send a letter to the collection agency stating that after speaking to the hospital they cannot locate an account for me.  Then I would give them 7 business days to delete the trade line from all 3 bureaus or I am turning it over to a consumer attorney for FCRA and FDCPA violations.  My guess is they delete immediately.

Make sure you send that letter CMRR too.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify - they haven't sent me any kind of letter of email, or phone call. It's just that I saw it on my credit report. 

How much details should I give when I send them the letter? Since they haven't communicated with me, I assume they do not have my current address.  I may be naive, but I wonder if they can simply attach my address and damage my credit further if I send them the information. When I call them, they say they need my SSN to locate the account.

3 hours ago, Chandy said:

Just to clarify - they haven't sent me any kind of letter of email, or phone call.

That would matter if it were actually your debt.  Since it is not your debt the only way you reasonably could have known was to find it on your credit report.

3 hours ago, Chandy said:

How much details should I give when I send them the letter? Since they haven't communicated with me, I assume they do not have my current address.

I would not send my social.  That is just me.  I would simply get a paper copy of my credit report(s) and send a copy of the page of their trade line.  My letter would state that this account appeared on my report(s) and after investigating with the hospital they have no account on record and I have never had treatment there.  They have falsely reported someone else's debt to my report and have seven business days to delete it.

Another option is to simply open a complaint with the CFPB.  Let them push the collection agency's buttons.

If you don't want to send a copy of that page of your credit report, I would simply state in the letter the information that they reported---the partial account number and the supposed original creditor.  If they really do have a legit collection account they should have no problem at all retrieving it in their system from that information.  If they cannot, it's just one more thing that supports your request for them to remove it.

Also, for future reference, I never provide my SSN to them over the phone.  I WILL ask them to state the last 4 of the SSN that they have on file and I will verify whether or not that's mine.  But I won't ever just give out my SSN.  

In order to have a possible FCRA claim, you must first dispute the entry with the credit reporting agencies. 

1 person likes this

Other than @BV80 above, all of the responses are nonsense, incorrect and pointless.  There is no reason to send a letter to the CA.  Once you verified with the Hospital that they have no record of you, then the next step is to send a written dispute to the credit bureaus.  My dispute letter will simply say "this is not my account".  I would send the letter Certified mail with return receipt.

If the collection account is removed after dispute, you are done.  If it is not removed, then it is time to call some consumer attorneys and sue the pants off the collector.

Thanks everyone for the replies. As  @BV80 and @fisthardcheese suggested, all I needed to do was call Experian. They fixed the problem in 5 minutes over phone and send me the updated credit report. It turns out that they mixed up somebody else's report with mine.