- FREE Credit Counseling
- Sample Letters
- Settle Your Debts
- Debt Validation
- Statute of Limitations on Debt
- Order Your Credit Reports
- Bookmark this Site
- Manuals Creditos En Espanol
Credit Score Information For Building Good Credit and Increasing Credit Scores
Articles on Credit Scores and Credit Scoring Models
Knowing your credit score is vital if you are going to apply for a home or car loan or a credit card. The lower your score, the more you are going to pay in interest, if you can even get a loan in the first place.
There are numerous ways to get your credit score along with your credit report as revealed in a few of our articles. But, once you get your report, how did they come up with your score and how can you increase it? These are but a few of the topics covered in the articles below. Check back frequently as we are always adding new articles.
How to Get Your Credit Score
- Get Your Credit Score - Before you begin to repair your credit, it is imperative you know your credit score. We have a listing of recommended companies you can use to obtain your credit report and your credit score.
- Free Credit Score with Financial Reform Bill - The passing of HR 4173 in July of 2010 brought many benefits to consumers in the way of financial protection and oversite. See how this bill will help you.
- New Credit Scoring Models - Lenders are using more than just your FICO score to determine your creditworthiness. We have uncovered the other scoring models lenders are using.
- Do You Have an Insurance Score? - Your insurance credit score will determine your insurance rates and can detect possible insurance fraud.
- Secret Credit Scores Lenders Don't Want You to Know About - Have you ever heard of revenue score, bahavior scoring or a collection score? These are just a few of the secret scoring models lenders use to detemine if you are a desirable risk.
How is Your Score Calculated?
- The Basics of Credit Scoring - Most Americans have no idea what goes into a credit score and what types of scoring models are used when applying for a loan. This article breaks it down into easy to understand concepts so you can get a general overview of credit scores.
- What Goes Into Calculating Your Credit Score - Coming up with that magical three-digit number is a highly guarded secret by the big three credit bureaus. See what five catagories make up your credit score.
- Will Credit Inquiries Affect Your Credit Score - Ever wonder what those credit inquiries are on your report and if they affect your score. Some do and some don't - see which is which.
- What Things Do Not Affect Your Score - Contrary to some myths, there are certain actions you make that will not affect your credit score. Get the straight facts before you start repairing your credit.
- What Influences Your Credit Score - There are things you can do that will influence your credit score and some actions which do not make a difference at all.
- How Does Your Credit Score Compare to Other Americans - Is your credit score as bad as you think in comparision to other Americans? See which states have the worst credit scores.
- Credit Score Alternatives Gaining Ground? - Lenders are starting to use other ways to determine credit worthiness besides just a FICO score. Are these methods really taking off?
Increase Your Credit Score
- Ways to Increase Your Credit Score - Now that you know your score, find out how to increase it so you can get a better interest rate on your next loan.
- Rapid Rescore - Learn how mortgage brokers use rapid rescore to quickly increase credit scores to close loans for their customers. Will this help you when buying your next home?
- Why Do Credit Scores Fluctuate - You will notice a different credit score from each of the major credit reporting agencies. We will tell you why and which one really matters.
- Removing Collections From Your Credit Report Will Increase Your Credit Score - A collection will most certainly lower your credit score. Read our tips on how to lessen the blow to your score and eventually bring it back up.
- Low Credit Score Will Cost You Money - A low credit score equates to higher interest rates. This will cost you more money in the long run.
- One Late Payment Impacts Score - Before you mail in that credit card payment late, read this article to see how just one late payment can affect your credit score.
- Unexpected Things That Could Affect Your Credit Score - Sometimes the littlest things have the biggest effects. That goes for your credit score - things you might not expect to affect your score.
- Will Renting-to-Own Help Your Credit Score? - If you are thinking of using a rent-to-own store to obtain new furniture, think again as these timely payments may not help your credit score.
Fair Isaac, FICO, and VantageScore
- Fair Isaac's FICO Scoring Model - Read about changes to Fair Isaac's Credit Scoring Model, FICO 8.
- VantageScore Scoring Model - This scoring model was developed to compete with FICO - but has it really taken hold at the lending institutions.
- FICO vs VantageScore - Which One is Better? - We have outlined the pros and cons of FICO vs VantageScore credit scoring models. You can decide which one you feel is better.
- Law or Code pertaining to CA original creditor respnse to debt validationView Post
- One in three CB removed an innacurate loan now what?View Post
- Dispute or more GW?View Post
- Spouse's Items on my CRView Post
- TU report came back with no changesView Post
- Credit Score Alternatives Gaining Ground?Read Article
- Federal Student Loans - How to Manage The Un-ManageableRead Article
- How to Prevent a Debilitating Disease From Bankrupting Your FamilyRead Article
- Credit Card Company Tricks of the Trade - Ways They'll Try to Fool YouRead Article
- Learn How to Remove Judgments From Your Credit ReportRead Article