Free Credit Repair Guide - Fix Your Credit on Your Own
The Holiday Gift of Credit Repair: A Guide
PHOENIX, AZ--(Marketwire - 12/7/2011) - Perhaps you are among those whose credit has taken a nosedive in recent years, for which you are suffering this holiday season. If so, Creditinfocenter.com has a holiday gift for you.
CreditInfoCenter.com's online free credit repair guidegoes into great detail about the theory and logistics behind the credit repair process. Here are the basic steps:
- Request copies of your credit report. It is essential you take advantage of the annual free credit report you are entitled to from each credit reporting agency.
- Analyze your report. Go through your credit report with a fine-tooth comb, making sure you know every item listed, good and bad.
- Make a list of all the items you consider to be questionable or negative. Note, it is important that you dispute all negative items, whether you agree with them or not. It is your legal right to dispute anything on your credit report.
- Write letters of dispute to the credit bureaus. CreditInfoCenter.com's free credit repair guide provides sample dispute letters for your reference.
- Mail letters to the credit bureaus. Send them certified mail so you have proof when the credit bureaus receive them. Bureaus have 30 days to process disputes - if they can't do it within this time, they must remove the listing.
- Document your efforts. Record when you sent your letters, and the results.
- Wait for the bureaus to investigate your claims. After the credit bureaus have responded to your request, go through your (hopefully) adjusted credit report to note changes, or the lack thereof.
- Repeat the steps above. Dispute your negative listings once again, but this time noting different grounds for dispute than the previous time. Any number of things could prove impossible for the credit bureaus to verify.
CreditInfocenter.com was founded in 1997 as a one-stop destination for consumers looking for advice on repairing bad credit and rebuilding good credit. It advocates the self-help approach to credit and debt management. CreditInfocenter's editor and founder, Kristy Welsh, is the author of several books on personal finance, including "Good Credit Is Sexy", a tongue-in-cheek guide to managing your credit.
For More Information on CreditinfoCenter.com:
Good Credit is Sexy: