Credit Infocenter Call Lexington Law at800-461-0524

Credit Repair: How to Re-Dispute a Negative Listing

January 11th, 2011 · 3 Comments · Credit Repair

by Kristy Welsh

(Last Updated On: January 11, 2011)

Q. I’m attempting to do credit repair on my own. What if I already disputed my hiccup without your advice and did not say “not me”. The credit card re-reported and said they would not take it off my report. How do I begin again?

A. When you say you disputed your “hiccup”, did you dispute it with the credit bureaus or directly with the credit card company? I can’t tell from your letter. Each situation needs to be handled differently.

The first step in credit repair is ALWAYS to dispute your negative listing with the credit bureaus. When you dispute, you are essentially asking the credit bureau to investigate validity of the listing. There are many reasons you can use as the reason for your dispute. Every time you re-dispute, you will need to change the reason for the investigation so the credit bureau will have something new to investigate. Otherwise, they can legally view the investigation request as “frivolous” and ARE NOT obligated to investigate. The order of the reasons during re-disputing should be:

  1. Not mine (not my account)
  2. I didn’t pay late that month
  3. Wrong amount
  4. Wrong account number
  5. Wrong original creditor
  6. Wrong Charge-off Date
  7. Wrong Date of Last Activity
  8. Wrong Balance
  9. Wrong Credit limit
  10. Wrong Status (there are about 20)
  11. Wrong High Credit (the highest amount you used)

2. If you first disputed directly with the credit card company without requesting a credit bureau investigation, you essentially wasted your time. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), a creditor is not required to investigate a negative listing unless you first disputed with the credit bureaus and the results of the credit bureau investigation did not favor your request.

If you have previously disputed with credit bureau, the strategy you should be following is the “623 Method” – you’re exercising your rights under section 623 of the FCRA. Essentially, you ask for an investigation from the creditor and they must respond to the request, or be forced to remove the listing from your report.

Once your ask for an investigation from a creditor under Section 623, the dispute method mirrors “regular” investigation requests to the credit bureau. The method also gives you tips on pressuring the creditor to come up with actual proof that you were late so they remove the damaging information. You can read about the entire procedure in our 623 method article.

For the total credit repair strategy, covering all scenarios, read our complete credit repair guide.

Tags: ········

3 Comments so far ↓

  • Victoria Finch

    There seems to be varying opinions on how to handle section 623 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

    Some experts suggest that the consumer dispute with BOTH the original creditor and the credit bureaus. By doing this, the creditor can often be “caught” giving false verifications to the credit bureaus.

  • Kristy Welsh

    Victoria, you have to dispute FIRST with the credit bureaus, otherwise disputing with the original creditor is a wasted effort. Disputing with Original Creditors.

  • David

    Hi where can i get a of a 623 Dispute ?

Leave a Comment