• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

16 Good

About CreditVortex

  • Rank
    Impressive 100+ postings

Profile Fields

  • Location
  1. I believe if it was me, I'd go into CreditKarma, & dispute it, if it's listed on either Equifax or Transunion or both then depending on the answer from one you will probably get the same results on the other. Won't cost anything other than your time. Might give you some answers, or you may have dodged the bullet so to speak.
  2. Sorry, then the only option appears to me is access the accepted annual free credit report site. You won't get a real FICO score at any of them. Only gives a score you can live with but may or may not be accurate since there are 45 other scores. Banks get one score, auto loans get another, mortgage companies get something entirely different, utility companies probably get another score. You get what you pay for. If it's from one of the free sites you can't use them for squat.
  3. Current situation: I started this journey in Nov 2012, I have charted & budgeted from then on. At that time I figured from the balances that I was $54K in debt both secured & unsecured. No mortgage, included a portion of the $11K in health related obligations. My decision to default was arrived at after I had called all my creditor's trying to setup a payoff with lowered balances & interest rates. Some were willing, others slam dunked me with a definite 'NO'. I separated the unsecured from the secured, I didn't want to lose anything via repossession. Only one of the unsecured worked with me, I have finally paid them off. That account had the highest balance but a lower int. it was where I had charged most of my medical so felt I should try my best to honor that. I was just a few steps away from a full bath BK. I found this site & pestered the experts with inane questions. I had reluctantly started with 7 accounts that I let fall into default. #1 a former wireless provider - who falsely claimed I owed an early termination fee along with int & late fees that had built up to $480. I finally had to file claims with both my state's AG and the FCC. The result was a letter claiming no fault but would no longer pursue the debt & not list it on my CR. #2 a major CC issuer, at the time they were being fined for robo-signing mortgages & judgments. I received a letter stating that they were not pursuing the $1.8K debt & issued a 1099C code 'G' that was claimed correctly w/o insolvency on that years tax return. No CA involvement, but is listed on my CR as closed still showing the $1.8K balance. Probably show that until late 2020 unless I decide to dispute it. #3 was a major retail/VISA CC still owned by the OC that had a $5.8K balance, I called & settled for 50% of the final total balance for just under $3K. Completed & noted on my CR since Apr '15. #4 was a major retail account that was subsequently sold/transferred to GECC & then again later to Webbank, who sold it to a CA. I was called & I insisted they send a formal request which I DV'd timely. I did receive notification that they were working on it. This last Saturday I received a letter that they were no longer attempting to collect & would not list it on my CRs & remove any listing I may have had. It had been almost 90 days since I had DV'd with not other response. #5 is the Citibank/retail account ($3.8K) that the CA law firm has claimed will go to court. I had until the 20th of Dec '15 to respond, I did call to offered a 50% settlement but they wanted 70%+ I refused, still pending but I'm watching the court dockets for any information. #6 is a major gas card now owned by a CA who has filed 'in collection' on my CR's but haven't had any response from since early 2013. I did DV & CD them timely. #7 began as a gas CC then upgraded to a CitiBank/MC. The issuer got out of the CC business & canceled all their accounts in 2010. I was paying but stopped in Nov '12. Whomever was getting the payments sold the account to a CA who then sold it down the line to another CA. I had to do a search finally getting the current CA ownership information whom I have had no contact, phone/letter or otherwise. Not/never listed on my CR. Balance was $1.4K. My state's SOL is 6 years. Through all this I learned the value of a DV & CD, along with trying to work out a settlement with the willing. My FAKO scores are 640/653/670. My CR's show no hard inquiries since Feb 2013, no CCs, payment accounts, no auto loans. Currently 'collection proof', with no future change anticipated.
  4. Had a free sit down consultation with a law firm in Dec. Had all my financials and charts. Suggestion, I call the CA law firm and offer a settlement, (that was my favored option). Called offered 50% which of course they refused, they countered at 70% which I refused. My parting words were, 'I guess then you will need to pursue this in court.' - they said 'You bet we will!'. Called my law firm to give them an update. They said I'm 'uncollectible' and can't see any logical reason to go forward, it will only cost the CA/OC, they're chasing rainbows. The account doesn't show on any of the 3 CRA's free reports and never has.
  5. I guess I should have mentioned that I live in OR, OR has mandatory arbitration & according to our resident expert (hueypilot) it's almost 99% sure you will lose. Besides I do have an apointment with the BK lawyer on the 3rd and will discuss first what to expect if I choose to go the way I orginally posted, next see if they can negotiate a settlement for less, next see if they think I can file 7 or 13 with fee waiver. They suggested back in 2012 that I was a good candidate for a 7 but that has all changed in my estimation because of my working on the debts, i.e. getting the AG/FTC involved in one, getting issued a 1099C (g) from another and settling for less with a third. I'm hoping to move forward but won't be bullied into a corner.
  6. Now that I'm calmed down here's the situation. Served a legal notification from Suttell, Hammer & White whom has been 'assigned' to collect a debt for a CitiBank credit card. It says I need to file an 'answer' or 'motion' with the court. The filing fee for that action is $252. I can ask for a waiver of fee, but that is in doubt and that may cost me an addition fee, don't know. The consequences of not answering that notification 'could' result in the court awarding a judgement against me for the total amount. The balance + fees is $3,XXX.XX. I will probably lose anyway if I proceed to fight the possible subsequent suit. I have followed the suggestions from this forum including a CMRRR DV and then a CMRRR C&D timely. I'm over 70 years old with absolutely no assets other than an older vehicle that is currently in need of a radiator and undriveable. I have a few tools, not many less than $1,000 in value. A laptop I bought 2 years ago, worth maybe $300. A TV that was purchased in 2007, could use an updated one. I also have the clothes on my back and more hanging in my closet, sweats mostly. I would be well under the amounts allowed under homesteaded rules in my state. I pay rent in a senior park. Other than that, nothing, nada. My income is from Social Security so protected from garnishment. I have various health issues and under an oncologist's care for cancer, also under care through a primary care doctor for Type II diabetes, on pills & insulin. I spent 4 days in the hospital a few months back with a glucose count of over 800. They're now concerned about a blip on my EKG. I have stenosis of the spinal column with legs numb from the knees down. Childhood polio and have been dianosed with PPS. My current medications run to over $550 monthly with a Medicare supplemental plan helping and enter the 'doughnut hole' in early July. I had a knee jerk reaction to the serving and immediately emailed a bankrupcty lawyer I had consulted a few years back. Still haven't heard from her. After research I find that I couldn't qualify for a Chap 7 (because I have $300 left over after monthly expenses for food) so I would have to file Chap 13. Lawyer fees start at $750 and the court trustee will receive 25% of the first $5,000 paid & 20% of the following $5,100 I would need to include all debt ($10,000+)in the filing. That amounts to just over $2200. Albeit it's only 14% interest or fees tacked on but there is the possibility that I could also pay interest on the 4 accounts in question. Not sure since they are unsecured & the court approaches them differently. My decision is to ignore the servings and wait. I have no fear that my estate will be attached because it will be less than the filing fee after my ashes hit the ground. I have no worry what happens to my CR since I have no immediate plans to buy anything on credit even if I could get it.
  7. @Clydesmom & @BV80 Thanks, makes better sense now. I had the feeling that the initial call was too agreeable for a settlement. Their offer was 50%. I'm sitting tight.
  8. UPDATE: I DV'd Midland about the above account within the 30 day time frame. I received the signed CMRRR green card from the USPS. Last Friday I received an acknowledgement from Midland that they had received my request for validation of debt, have opened an investigation, and will forward me the information when they receive it from the OC. Midland had bought and owns the account. Is that letter just meant to be a note that they are proceeding to valid the debt? Never happened before. In their original notice they did note the account was sold to them by a lender Webbank whom I have never dealt with and can only assume that the OC having changed their accounts over from their company financing to Webbank. I remember reading something about the change but never paid much attention to it. I thought when you are in validation that the next they can contact me is after they validate and before I may send a C&D. I know there is no time limit for them to validate, so why send me any acknowledgement? I can only assume it's for informational purposes only and requires no response from me. I will say that they are very cordial and want to be my friend.
  9. Teaches me to read everything, Yes, found the reference and it was the same address I had used for the DV. Thank you. UPDATE: We had just returned after making our final payment of 6 for the VISA account I had agreed to a 'Settled for less'. Emotions were up then down.
  10. Midland sent me a first contact letter after they made their first phone contact. I responded with a DV (CMRRR) 5 days prior to the 30 day time limit of the date on the letter. This morning my wife (only phone contact number they had) received a robo call from them. I haven't received any documents or responses to my DV, It's only been 10 days since I had sent it. Also I should note, I haven't received my green card back. I sent the DV to the address on the original request, but included in their envelope was a self-addressed envelope with a different address that I didn't use. I wasn't sure what address was correct, I assumed it should be the address on the enclosed letter. No instructions other than on the bottom of the letter was a perforated coupon with an address matching the enclosed envelope to return any payment I may make. No payment was sent. The account in question was an old Dell Account that was purchased by Midland. I haven't made a payment since 10/10/2012 (Oregon SOL 6 years). Question, is it a FDCPA violation because I haven't received any documents or nothing. My wife refused to talk to them and hung up immediately. Or, should I wait until I get the green card back or my DV returned unaccepted. Also, I am 'collection proof', no assets, insurance and have health issues living in Oregon and waiting for mandatory arbitration.
  11. Someday I'm going to figure out what this is all about. Viking Client Services is nothing more than a JDB that has purchased the right to collect on the alledged debt that was orginally owned by ExxonMobil/CitiBank, who sold the account to ICON EQUITIES, who then sold the collection rights to Viking Services for pennies on the dollar. I'm going to DV (CMRRR). No wonder VCS offered me a limited time 40% settlement.
  12. Thanks, will do. I felt the call was more like a fishing trip. He named all the parties involved. The dates he noted were within the same time frame as when I had called all of the other OC owned accounts. I gave him no more info than to verify my name and last 4. He recited my correct address back, which I then verified. I kept asking him to sent the 5 day collection letter, said he would along with an settlement offer. I will DV and verify as you suggested before anything happens, & no settlement until I have a signed agreement from them. Otherwise I will sent a CD. On my initial call back in Apr, when I was trying to locate the account, I'm sure I gave my name, address & last 4. I'm also sure I gave the account information from my last statement. The customer service rep had required that much. The phone number would show up on their end, so they had all they needed. We'll see what happens from here.
  13. Thank you BV80, I value your opinion. I began with 7 accounts in default 1. Wireless account debt cancelled their bad. They wiped slate clean. 2. VISA - Final balance $5,9XX - settling for less $1,9XX remaining on settled amount - 1099C will be sent for $2,1XX (50% of final principal). 3. VISA - Account cancelled - 1099C (2013) issued for $1,4XX - code 'G' - taxes paid. 4. Retail Gas card - sold to JDB/CA listed as in collection. Been 2 years nothing further. 5. CitiBank/MC - in Limbo for 2 years now received call yesterday - said letter sent (nothing received) I asked for collection letter and they suggested possible 40% settlement. 6. CitiBank/Retail card - received collection letter in Apr '15 - sent DV Apr 24 '15 - haven't received verification. Want to settle for less. 7. Retail Account -serviced by Finance Co. - received collection letter from CA. - DV'd - verified - CD sent nothing in over 2 years. Retired, health issues, no assets, no insurance, no savings only income from protected sources. I'm just trying to make myself feel better morally. Credit Report/FICO score no issue. I know where the balances are or are going. I just posted to find out if my proposed settlement offer with a CA/JDB is an accepted path. I'm got all records and all correspondence with all creditors and CAs. I've dealt with OC's with some success but have never dealt with a CA/JDB. My $500 payments started on May 1 thru Oct 1. Yes I have made May and Jun's payments in cash at our local retail outlet. My home state SOL is 6 years. Last payment on all accounts 10/10/2012.
  14. To clarify the information about account (2): I do have a settlement agreement letter signed by an Account manager, on the OC letterhead. The gest of the letter states what I agreed to and what their action will be if and when I complete the agreed payment schedule. I go into one of their retail stores' customer service counter and pay in cash, ask for a reciept that I staple to the back of the letter and have the clerk initial & date it. I monitor the account balance through CreditKarma. It shows the balance going down by the amount of my payment. I feel comfortable with the agreement, it states that once the 6 payments are made they will cancel the remaining balance and issue me a 1099c for 50% of the principal owed at the time of default ($2,100). They stated they will stop collection attempts at that time, and report to the CR's that the account will show 'Settled for less'. As I read it, the door is still open for collection if I don't complete my side of the agreement.