Hello CreditInfoCenter Forum,
I am currently being sued by CAVALRY SPV I, LLC. In California. This is a limited civil suit under $25,000 on a Bank of America credit card from 2009 that is long past the Statute of Limitations.
I’ve attached heavily redacted versions of every article from the plaintiff, and every article of my own (the defendant). Please refer to these in the attached PDF form files.
I could really, really use some guidance on how to proceed — this is my first time in a civil suit (or a suit of any kind) and I can not afford legal representation, so I have been forced to represent myself — Defendant in Pro Per. I am trying to the best of my abilities to navigate the legal spider web of the rules of procedure, but still I seem to be getting tangled up at every corner. At this point in time we are in the discovery process, and have completed a case management meeting, the plaintiff has served me Form Interrogatories, Special Interrogatories and Request for Admissions, I have only served an answer to the complaint, it’s unfortunate that I found this forum very late in the process, as I have one day left to respond to discovery set one (It must be mailed on the 9th) and I have only completed my response to FORM INTERROGATORIES, and even that I am very unsure of.
I sought free legal aid to file my initial answer, I had the lawyer assert a number of affirmative defenses in my answer including Statute of Limitations, but I am not sure based on reviewing the answer filed that the lawyer filled out the answer in the ideal way. The lawyer failed to suggest to me Motion to Dismiss based on SOL, or demurrer SOL or Motion for Summary Judgement SOL, which I have since learned about on my own.
CAVALRY SPV I, LLC. Has not sent me anything that would be construed as proof that they are the legal owner of this debt, yet they expect me to answer discovery revealing private banking information to what could potentially be a third party with no right to know?
The initial summons and complaint state three credit card account numbers that did not appear anywhere in my records, and were not the original Bank of America account number.
They are claiming in MULTIPLE places within discovery and complaint that I made a payment to them on 12/31/2012 and I made no such payment. I only have two bank accounts and have the records to prove that no payment was made to CAVALRY SPV I, LLC. from either account, let alone a payment on New Years Eve which assuredly anyone sober would recall.
They have even gone as far as to completely FORGE a document in EXHIBIT 2 — This document is on CAVALRY letterhead with their company logo, an account number they seem to have made up out of thin air, and little more than a short transaction history of a credit that was never made, and a few adjustments I do not understand. (It seems this is a common tactic for CAVALRY, after reviewing their other suit in this Sub-Forum).
I paid for and downloaded every article on file at the court’s website for this case, nothing related to chain of title or bill of sale anywhere.
I have a number of concerns:
01. They have not proven ownership of the debt nor even tried to, and are asking for private banking information VIA Discovery?
02. The account numbers in the complaint are not the original Bank of America account number (Though they did later list the original account # in Discovery)?
03. Their SPECIAL INTERROGATORIES are basically empty except for a few definitions that relate to the REQUEST FOR ADMISSIONS, there are no questions in the SPECIAL INTERROGATORIES? Can definitions within SPECIAL INTERROGATORIES be applied to REQUEST FOR ADMISSIONS?!
04. Within the REQUEST FOR ADMISSIONS, they have a single request asking me to verify the documents in EXHIBIT 1 — EXHIBIT 1 is 52 pages of Bank of America credit card statements that COULD possibly be from my account, but I do not have many records of this account to compare to so I have no way of authenticating for certain? and they have already forged a fake transaction history document in EXHIBIT 2 so I have means to believe they could have done the same in exhibit 1? Further the last 12 pages of EXHIBIT 1 are Bank of America monthly credit card statements IN SPANISH, I do NOT speak Spanish?! Isn’t this also unjustly compounded? Using one request to ask me to authenticate over 52 pages of documents that are separate monthly credit card statements? The documents in EXHIBIT 1 are NOT NUMBERED or sequenced in ANY WAY so it would be impossible for me to individually accept or deny certain parts, I’d have to accept all 52 pages of statements in entirety as authentic?
05. One of the Discovery documents has my name spelled incorrectly.
06. I read something saying that they are required to try Alternate Dispute Resolution/ADR but they have not, they included an ADR Packet, but the ADR Section of the complaint was empty/not filled in and appears it is supposed to be?
I have many other complaints and concerns but these are some off of the top of my head, I could really use any and all assistance in regards to this case and the best way to proceed, I honestly can not afford to lose, it would basically be the end of my family at this point, yet I can not afford representation either.
Thank You very much for your time and Consideration,
DRAFT form interrogatories (Answer) redacted.pdf