Good afternoon- I thank you so much for your help and will try to be as succinct as possible.
1. We live in Illinois and are planning to file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on July 1st, 2018. We are currently waiting for that date because my income is artificially high due to a bonus, and we are $2,000 over the median income for our family and do not want to have to go through the scrutiny of the means test.
2. Our objective is to avoid lawsuits and wage garnishments until that date: July 1st, 2018.
3. Here is who we are dealing with and what has transpired thus far:
- Notice of Sale on December 21st in the amount of $1389.16 from Credit One to LVNV Funding. We have NOT received a letter from them yet.
- Capital One has sent both our balances of $1976.99 and $2950.36 to 3rd party collections agencies. We admitted nothing, but have agreed to pay $15 temporarily per month and this has satisfied them, as long as they said we call back this summer to make higher payments or discuss other options.
- Notice of Sale on January 1st, 2018 in the amount of $823.14 from Synchrony to Portfolio Recovery Associates. We have NOT received a letter from them yet.
- Notice of sale on January 1st, 2018 in the amount of $2029.13 from Synchrony to Midland Funding LLC. We have NOT received a letter from them yet.
- A letter from Kohn Law Firm on January 2, 2018, to collect on $1208.42 from Synchrony and Midland. We have not yet responded, which is why we are here.
Again, we will be filing Bankruptcy due to other debts and such, but are waiting until July 1st. We just want to avoid wage garnishment until then. We are obviously most worried about Midland and Kohn... We do not know what time frames they operate on or how to respond to delay them- if that's even possible. We had heard that you can scare them away by requesting arbitration per the Synchrony contract, but do not know if that is too preemptive or if it will even work in our case.
Thank you very much for your assistance. I really appreciate it and will follow whatever directions you give me.