I've read over the forums for a couple hours and found the arbitration option.
I have and had 4 - 5 year old debts (most of it I paid off a couple years ago before I knew there were other options) one of which, Gurstel is coming after.
I am wondering if I should try to settle this debt, but then again, it is SO OLD and I really don't want to. I work for myself, so I have a lot of time, I somewhat understand the courts, how to look up statutes and how to file, just enough to be dangerous! Any help is appreciated!
I found this on another post and thought it might be helpful to anyone responding:
1. Who is the named plaintiff in the suit? I have not been served yet, but on Gurstels' paperwork current creditor is Cavalry SPV I, LLC
2. What is the name of the law firm handling the suit? (should be listed at the top of the complaint.) Gurstel Law Firm
3. How much are you being sued for? $1621.83
4. Who is the original creditor? (if not the Plaintiff) Synchrony Bank
5. How do you know you are being sued? (You were served, right?) not being sued yet, had first contact from Gurstel two weeks ago via mail.
6. How were you served? (Mail, In person, Notice on door) not served yet
7. Was the service legal as required by your state? yes
8. What was your correspondence (if any) with the people suing you before you think you were being sued? Notice they had the debt, I sent a letter requesting them to prove it and they sent my agreement with Synchrony and a final statement and the Bill of Sale of the debt.
9. What state and county do you live in? Wisconsin
10. When is the last time you paid on this account? (looking to establish if you are outside of the statute of limitations) At least 4 years, possibly more, it has not hit SOL yet.
11. What is the SOL on the debt? To find out: 6 years
12. What is the status of your case? Suit served? Motions filed? no legal action yet, junk debt is with a law firm, that's it
13. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?) No
14. Did you request debt validation before the suit was filed? Yes, I have their return letter with statement dated 4/5/2015, I stopped paying on this well before 2015.
15. How long do you have to respond to the suit? do not have suit yet
16. What evidence did they send with the summons? no suit yet