• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About codename_fortyseven

  • Rank
    500 posts and hasn't been banned yet....
  1. Sue them. That is a "yup, you owe it" letter. Continued collection activity, improper validation, false or misleading representations, etc...
  2. You don't have to state a reason. "I dispute" is all that is required. They are trying to sidestep and go with a FACTA dispute. I'd be gearing up to sue. You don't have to send them anything, and I wouldn't do anything else, except send em a summons if they continue to collect.
  3. If a CA doesn't answer in 30 days, it is a violation of the Texas Finance code section 392. Not less than $100 per violation, and you can get a couple out of that. There is no cap. A printout from a CA's own records doesn't satisfy the Federal validation guidelines, so it shouldn't satisfy the state ones. That is what I would argue. Do not ever file in small claims court. Sue in Federal. Trust me. If you want to find out why, go right ahead and file in small claims, but be prepared for disappointment. Transferring an account isn't continued collection activity. If the new CA tries to collec
  4. Woo Hoo! Fun with UCMJ Contact your commander/supervisor and have them counsel you on the phone call. Get it in writing, memorialize what was said, and hold on to it! Make sure your supervisor documents the specific chapters cited. Next stroll on down to JAG and get it in writing from them that the military is not a collection agency, your superiors can't tell you how to spend your money, and you are not in violation of any UCMJ articles. Hell, they can't even prefer charges! They can only contact your supervisor to attempt to locate you, not to try to prefer criminal charges. Next, start
  5. How did you pay them? Check by phone? Credit card? Contact your issuing bank and demand a chargeback/refund. Do it NOW! You typically have 60 days to do this from the trasnaction. Get a new bank account as well. FYI, in the future, don't talk to them over the phone and don't let them have your banking info, no matter what.
  6. Well, first you want to bring up in your defenses that the debt is past the SOL. The timeframe to file counterclaims depends on your rules of civil procedure. Read them, learn them, love them. In a FDCPA counterCLAIM you would sue for them suing on a timebarred debt. The time for asking questions is over, they have sued you. Forget about validation, get it all in discovery, get their suit dismissed and sue them for violating your rights.
  7. No, not true. That isn't ALL that the Chaundry ruling said. They must provide some evidence of the debt, but it doesn't rise to the level of discovery. For example billing statements that account for the debt, but they don't have to have fingerprints and a handwriting expert to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the billing statements are yours and you signed it.
  8. It is my opinion that any consumer atty worth your business should at MOST require you to pay the filing fee. Anyone asking for a 1-2k retainer you should run like hell from, IMHO. I am sure you should be able to find a consumer atty that will take your case on contingency.
  9. Unless you live in Tx, there is no 30 day period to validate. You can demand they hop on one leg, delete the info from your reports, or cut you a check for a truck full of money. They are under no legal obligation to do any of the above just because you say so. Courts have held that 90 days is a "reasonable" amount of time to obtain validation. If they continue to collect without providing REAL validation, log each collection attempt, and prepare to sue them for continued collection activity. Read the Flyingfir method. You sent your l
  10. Why not introduce them into the concept of the SOL. MD is 3 years. Time to file FDCPA counterclaims. 2 credit card statements aren't validation, so you can lump in continued collection activity as well (the lawsuit) Have you recieved a summons yet? Go to your local courthouse and see if indeed a lawsuit has been filed. If so, pull the file and see what is going on and what stage it is in. If you get a lawyer, be sure to get one that specializes in consumer law. Check
  11. Yes, re-aging is illegal. You have actual damages, in the amount of the mortgage you were denied because of their inaccurate reporting. You have to show that the reporting was inaccurate and the proximate cause of you getting denied. Do you have the mortgage stuff showing the denial, the reason for the denial and all that? Did you dispute the Midland TL's? Can you document the disputes? Talk to a consumer lawyer. Start with
  12. Unless you live in the state of Tx, there is no 30 day requirement to provide validation. Courts have held that 90 days is a "reasonable" amount of time in other states. The "in dispute" notation while a FCRA violation is not actionable by you. If you did a worthless "not mine" dispute, it will probably come back verified every time. "not mines" have the lowest standard of verification from the CRA's. If you dispute specific portions of the TL (date open is incorrect, balance is incorrect, etc...) it becomes harder for the CRA's to verify. LVNV is sherman, and I am not sure if that distinct
  13. Read Section 392 of the Tx finance code. You can dispute at any time. The CA MUST respond within 30 days either asking for more time or with validation.
  14. Prose, Telling them you are judgement proof means nothing. They don't care, and won't believe you. Ch 13 is a repayment plan, NOT a clean slate. It doesn't wipe out your debts completely, and if you ARE considering a CH 13, it won't really matter if you file now or after the new BK laws come into effect, since the rule change is designed to force more CH 13's. I don't think it is just that easy to seal a BK. I think that's why they call it PUBLIC records. Further, signed original agreements are almost NEVER required as part of validation. I do suggest you DOCUMENT any violations of the FC
  15. You are expected to "share notes" as it would be, essentially so you can't sue someone, have a mountain of evidence, not share it, and bushwhack them in court without the time or ability to prepare a defense. Check the rules of civil procedure, but it should be from the date of reciept. For you type "discovery request" and bang out the questions, production requests, and admissions you want. Date it, send it CMRRR, and follow your state's rules of civil procedure. It is only hard the first time. Ask the court if they have a pro-se guide or something. There are sample motions and formats as