Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by lolah

  1. Hello,


    I am trying to build credit in my name. I haven't checked my credit reports/scores recently, but I know they aren't horrible. I've had a freeze/fraud alert on all three for the past 5 years. 


    I have:

    2 Mortgages - paid on time, current, one account closed

    Car Loan, one late payment, closed in 2009

    Macy's Card, 1k limit - closed due to inactivity

    Macy's Visa -7k limit - closed by my husband

    USAA Credit Card - 18k limit - closed by my husband


    I am going through a divorce and am concerned about not having any credit other than the mortgage payment. I may have to sell the house as well. I just applied for a USAA card in just my name and was approved for an 8k limit. 


    I also applied for a Target card and was denied.


    I'm not really sure how to proceed from here. I plan to get copies of my credit reports with the Target denial letter.


    Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.


    Thank you!

  2. Absolutely you can! That is the point of disputing and requesting validation. I would send letters as many creditors as you can at once, depending on how many are on your reports, and that you can keep track of at once.

    This post explains the dispute process with CAs and CRAs. This explains the 623 method that is used with OCs.

  3. I am not sure if that is considered continued collection activity or not. If it is, then yes - it would be a violation. Someone else might chime in soon.

    (B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

    Have you read the FDCPA? That would be a great place to start...

  4. As a general rule, where ever your drivers license or state identification card says you are a resident of that is where the summons should be served. That is just a broad statement that does not cover exceptions or other variations that may change what proper service is.

    I had an Arkansas DL at the time, but was in the military as well. Arkansas was my Home of Record, but Ohio was my state of legal residence.

  5. I am not sure if what they did fits the rule - that is where I am confused. :confused:

    The mininum required in Ohio is service by any form of mail with return receipt requested and delivery restricted to the adressee.

    In Arkansas, they can leave it with someone in the same family at least 14 years old, or leave a copy of the summons at the house (dwelling place).

    So, they followed proper procedure for Arkansas, but not Ohio. And, I am not sure which they should have followed.

    I think Ohio because that was the place of my current, permanent residence at the time AND they knew of my place of employement at the time the judgment was awarded. I am certainly no legal expert, but I think it's arguable.

    Thanks for the post, though.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.