Jump to content

Trying

Members
  • Posts

    26
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Fields

  • Location
    MD

Trying's Achievements

Member

Member (2/6)

12

Reputation

  1. Does that law firm have a website I need their representation! I'm kind of thinking I would need it off the credit report sooner than the 2 years. Even if I don't get a mortgage, I'm also looking to buy a car in the next year or so. But nothing's set in stone. Previously, Asset Acceptance sent something - back when they said I owed $500ish - that they'd settle for like $130 or something. Obviously I didn't take them up on anything. But once I had a mortgage company pull my report, they sent something, (postmarked the next day as the report), claiming that $700 figure without any settlement or anything. I guess they're just preying on desperation. Still, I could always give them $100 to just get everything removed as opposed to waiting 2 years and seeing if they follow the law. If I went with that mindset, should I do the DV and hope they try to sue? Thanks again for all the replies! This is really helpful!
  2. Thanks for the replies all! So it sounds like the best move would be to go with a DV at this point - even if they don't have to get back to me. My question would be what would I do if they don't get back to me? If they don't, I could be proactive and do a PFD, but a FOAD wouldn't be in my best interest at this point since I'd like to get a mortgage within the next 2 years or so, (when this is projected to fall off). Thanks again!
  3. Thanks for the reply! So when you say the ground up, do you think a DV is a good starting point - even if it's outside the 30 day appeal period? Sorry, I'm not too familar with all this. Thanks!
  4. Hello, I have a debt on my credit report that was referred to a Collection Agency, (Asset Acceptance). The debt came from a credit card that I honestly thought was paid and closed ages ago. According to my credit report, the date of last payment was back in 2004 or so. For a revolving account, it's now beyond the statute of limitations in my state. But how do I handle this? Given they can't actually take me to court, should I still send a validation letter and then try to get a pay for deletion? Or should I try the validation and see if they just can't remove it? I think it would drop off in a couple of years on it's own, but I'd like to buy a house and after meeting with someone about a mortgage, I got a letter from them with like $200 more dollars than what I received before, (It's now quoted at $738). Thanks!
  5. So I think, if I'm understanding all this, I'm either liable for the judgment or could try and see what a lawyer might be able to do - though the judgment has already been handed down and the motion to vacate denied. Honestly, I'm not too sure how much a lawyer would be, but the one NACA for my area is located a pretty good drive away. Unfortunately, I'm trying to avoid court, (just makes me uncomfortable), and having to miss time from work. Plus, the lawyer fees might not be too bad, but for the stops she would have to pull out, could it be that much less than the $2200 judgment? I guess now, I'm looking to settle. For the most part, I clear my paycheck out with bills almost immediately and then withdraw the rest in cash. At any given time, there's not much float in my checking account. *Settlement If I tried to settle with them knowing they have a judgment, could I realistically dictate some of the terms - like changing it to "Paid as agreed" and having them remove the 180 TL? Thanks again for all the insight! I wish I knew about these boards when this first happened.
  6. Hello, Thanks for the replies! kevin3344, actually I never received anything about a date. When they initially filed the motion to "confirm arbitration" judgment, (or whatever exactly it was), I filed an Intent to Defend. They then filed for a Summary Judgment. To that, I think I wrote something, (not sure what it was called exactly), to say I wanted to be in court - which I really, really didn't want to do. But, they found the judgment in their favor. That's when I wrote that motion to dismiss the judgment. Lastly, I received something from the court denying the motion. As for the timeline, I thought in my state, (Maryland), it could linger for like 12 years - and be renewed. The actual judgment doesn't appear on my records, but the tradelines continue to show "180". I'm wondering if that won't linger until an action from one side or another is taken. I guess I can gamble and cite the SOL at the end of 7 or 12 years, but in the meantime, it would definitely hurt my chances for a decent mortgage in the next 2-3 years. Plus, couldn't they wait until 6 years and 11 months and begin seizing my stuff? This thing has definitely been a nightmare. The worst thing is that I really don't want to go to court, but could have $2200 more towards the house if I didn't have this hanging over me. I guess I'm just trying to see what I can do at this stage to get it entirely off my report. But if there's a legal way I could save $2200 in the process...
  7. Thanks Ahntara! I think I got it now. Actually, that $944 balance was originally like $3,722 or so that I've been paying for exactly a year. So I guess they're decreasing it with each installment - which I'm thinking is kind of a good thing, (at least as opposed to listing the original balance). As for the account, it was actually a state collection account. The school it should have been paid to doesn't appear on my report - just this account - after it was referred to "collections." I don't mean to drag this out, but will this appear as an "adverse" account for up to 7 years from the last payment? Thanks again!
  8. Hello, I recently pulled all 3 of my credit reports and have a really weird tradeline from a student debt. Not to bore, (but to give the whole story in a nutshell), I attended a public university for a semester. I thought Sallie Mae paid the Unv but apparently the school outright rejected it. That was a whole other issue. But the point is that it took so long for the school to tell me that the account was referred to state collections and began intercepting my state tax returns. I applied for a job in December of '06 and, per my employer's request, finally got the state collection thing to agree to an installment plan, (even though they still intercepted 2006's return). This May, I should finish up paying the collection account entirely. But, what's weird is that on my credit report, the TL is showing as "seriously past due" and has a "CO" in the monthly boxes as opposed to the PP, (for payment plan). But I haven't missed a payment since December of '06. Is this incorrect and, if so, how should it be reported to improve my score? Thanks!!!
  9. First, thank you for the great info!!! Unfortunately, I think I'm still confused, (no surprise there ) Regarding the situation, if the courts previously denied my motion to vacate judgment, could I still file a "motion to vacate a void judgment"? Sorry, but with all these titles of motions, I'm not sure what I've done and haven't. As for my cash, I'm definitely with you. My account may have only $100 at any given time. Nothing like cash in envelopes! I'm actually a bit concerned that they may garnish my wages. In addition to the financial aspect of the judgment, I'm scared about how it's going to effect my credit report when I go for a mortgage in a couple years. I was thinking, if I've run out of options, about just settling this spring when I get more money. But if I went that route, I'd love to somehow have them remove the whole "180" tradelines and change it to "Paid As Agreed" in the reports. The thing that's weird is that there is no information about the judgment on any of my credit reports and they've never contacted me following the denial of my motion to vacate.
  10. Just following up: According to Equifax's FAKO, my score went up 8 points. I received a letter in the mail telling me they didn't remove 2 of them: one associated with a trade line, (car loan I have in good standing), and another was a review by a credit granter I have, (also in great standing!). One thing that's a little weird though is when I went back to log in and pull my 2nd of my 2 free scores, Equifax said it went up for the following reasons: Anyhow, I'm not questioning things. I'm just happy for every little bit of progress. Thanks again for the great information!!!
  11. Sorry to bump, but any suggestions as to how I should proceed with this? Should I try a settlement offer, (initially they sent one before I filed a Notice To Vacate that was $0.80 on the dollar). Also, since this is technically the attorney for the original creditor, could I hope for some sort of "claus" where they change things to "Paid As Agreed" or even remove the 180 late payments? Thanks!
  12. Yeah kevin3344, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I may have caught a break since my wages weren't garnished, etc and there's nothing currently on the report aside from the "180" tradelines. Not that I'm happy with those TLs, but it could be much worse. And technically speaking, when I do go to get a mortgage, alot of my good-standing credit that I've really worked hard for will begin to lose ground, (time), compared to that thing - and that's my "best-case" scenario! (ie that it just stays as a reoccurring late payment) And trueq, honestly, I don't even know about my defense too much. I was kind of just going through everything I could online to try and find out what I could do. Initially, when I received the summons that required an answer, I filed a "Notice of Intent to Defend" In that, under the "Statement of Plain Facts", I had: I then received a notice that the court found in their favor. Once I received that letter, I wrote with a "Motion To Dismiss Judgment." In the body of that, I sent the following: Not too sure if that answers your question. But in the end, along with those Certificates of Service things, that's pretty much already I sent to the court. Originally, I had sent a validation letter to the attorneys but - before I found a great site like this - never bothered to use anything other than first class mail. Plus, I never sent it to the big 3 and follow through with it. It did actually shut them up for awhile until I began receiving phone calls daily.
  13. 1. Who is suing you? Attorneys: Mann-Bracken 2. For how much? $2,196.00 3. Who is the original creditor? Chase Manhattan 4. How do you know you are being sued? I was served, (lost case) 5. How were you served? Were you served? Processor hand-delivered 6. What was your correspondence (if any) with the people suing you before you think you were being sued? I previously sent a Debt-Validation letter at some time in '06 but never received a response. Additionally, it wasn't sent as registered or sent to the 3 Credit Bureaus... I know. 7. Where do you live? Maryland 8. When is the last time you paid on this account? According to my credit reports, March of 2003 9. What is the status of your case (if anything has been opened)? You can find this by a) calling the court or looking it up online (many states have this information posted daily). I lost and should have a judgment against me 10. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?) Kind of, (see Question# 6) 11. Did you request debt validation before the suit was filed? If not, don't bother doing this now. See Question# 6 12. Does your summons require a response? (Look hard!) If you don't get a questionnaire with your summons, you are still probably required to answer it in writing. If you don't respond to the lawsuit notice you will lose automatically. In 99% of the cases, they will require you to answer the summons, and each point they are claiming. We need to know what the "charges" are. Please post what they are claiming. Did you receive an interrogatory (questionnaire) regarding the lawsuit? My original summons required a response. Basically, they won an Arbitration case, (I honestly never received anything until after it was "awarded"), and the case was just to make it "official". 13. What evidence did they send with the summons? An affadavit? A statement from the OC? Anything else they attached as exhibits? They initially sent the award letter from the National Arbitration Forum 14. What is the SOL on the debt? At this point, since it's a Judgment, I think it's 12 years now since it's a judgment and might be renewable. Source:http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitationsJudgments.shtml * On my credit report, I don't see anything under "Public Records". Weird...
  14. Hello All, Last November or so, (2006), I was served with a Summons from a Chase credit card debt. The attorneys for Chase, (Mann Bracken), sued me. They wrote a letter for Summary Judgment to which I responded to try and demand I be present in court. The judge took their side and found a judgment in their favor. I then filed a motion to vacate but no luck there. Long story, but the bottom line is that right now, I owe Chase just under $2,200 and will [hopefully] be in the market for a house in the next 2-3 years. As of now, (knock on wood), the attorneys never contacted me after they won and my wages are intact. But I fear if I don't do something, not only will it hurt my quest for a house, but it will probably be renewed or something down the road, etc. My question [finally!] is what do I do at this stage? While I really don't want to send any money, this summer, a lot of my student loans will mature and I'll have some mula that I could spend if it means saving me thousands and thousands in interest down the road. But my concern is that I could pay and it would still linger on my report for an additional 7 years from the time I finish paying. Would it be smarter to write a letter saying I would pay in full if they changed their tradeline to "Paid As Agreed"? Additionally, when I pulled my credit reports this year, I didn't see anything under the "Public Records" portion. But in the "Closed Accounts" area, it lists under Chase's name and has "180" since approximately January of 2006 thru present. I've posted in the next thread with the "Questions To Answer" for a more accurate picture. Thanks for any help/ suggestions anyone can shed on this!!!
  15. Oh, okay. Then I think I just disputed all of them! I figured it wouldn't be fair that all of those softpulls would bring my report down. So as of now, I've contested 4 that others can see, (and 2 that others can't just because ) I only have one free pull of my Equifax report left, so I'll probably wait until next Tuesday or so to see what the outcome is and post back. Thanks!
×
×
  • Create New...