• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

22 Excellent

About joanneb1253

  • Rank
    CIC Member


  • Occupation
    Natural/OG grocery broker grunt

Profile Fields

  • Location
  1. I live in a state where they can't sue me since my debt is many, many years past the SOL. I'm mean - I talk to them and tell them to send me a letter. After I get their letter I send my FOAD back RRCM, and also send a copy of the letter to our stae DA's Consumer Credit Office listing the offenses. This also let's the DA's office know that they are not disclosing their phone number or what ever violation they may have incurred during the conversation. Needless to say, the CAs stop quickly. I have not had to sue yet but the phones are getting quieter from the get go.
  2. bcmama I live in Colorado and do what I do. Not only do the F.O.A.D., send a complaint to the CO DA's office. The link you need is below. There's tons of great info on their website. They are very responsive and helpful. Every time one of these bottom feeders do this kind of stuff to me I report them. If you have any questions, you can send a P.M. Be glad to give you feedback. Good luck!
  3. Thanks folks. As far as the ex, he now gives them her fathers phone number. They still call anyway. As you know some don't when to quit or their stupidity is mind boggeling. I guess what bugs my hubby is if he tells them I'm not here, the calls are relentless and they won't tell him who they are and that they must speak to me about a private matter. Blah, blah, blah. I guess I should tell him to get a phone number to return the call or get an address if possible and then do the FOAD. The big issue is they won't tell him anything and keep calling. I do like BrokeBobs idea. We do have a few pol
  4. Need some suggestions. I have some zombie debt that was charged off 17+ years ago. Also, hubby's ex is always in financial straights and has used our phone number occasionally on her past paperwork so we get many calls for her as well. Some of the JDBs/CAs think I'm her when I answer so I no longer answer the phone for obvious reasons. We have debated about changing the phone number but hubby uses it for a non prof he's President of so that isn't possible for now. When the JDBs/CAs call, what can I suggest that he say to them so he can find out if they are calling for me or his ex when he ans
  5. Gives info about the free credit reports available on line.
  6. First, I would not give any collection agency anything, much less my bank statement. None of their beeswax. Second, I live in Colorado and we have some really good resources and laws to protect us from folks who cross the line. Start with this link to our DAs consumer web site. This has tons of great information, resources and links to what our laws are. Good luck!
  7. I have had luck contacting my state DAs credit consumer office. I was getting recoreded calls by a JDB and no dunning letter. I gave them the phone number and they were able to provide an address. Don't know what your state has but it may be worth a try.
  8. I just did a quick search on federal court dockets and D. (Dennis) Scott Carruthers and another atty in his office, James J. Standley have several cases in federal court for rules and Fair Debt Collection. Most are recent - from 2008 on. Who knows what is going on the state level. This "attorney" is a bottom feeder! Just found out that some of the lawsuits are also naming Regent Asset Management and United Credit Management along w/ the two atty's.
  9. Folks, Sounds like this "law" firm is only by name. Unemployed/bad lawyers are now into collections because it is very profitable. We will see many more of these thugs in the future since established collection agencies are now getting the squeeze. In Colorado a lawyer who does collections does not have to be licensed in this state. If they do violate any of the rules, please report them to the Colorado DA consumer 's Office. Collect any bad inforamtion you have about this fellow and put this on your complaint form. These folks are very helpfu
  10. mycorrado, Notice that our state (Colorado) is second on the list that goes after these clowns? Nothing like a little high plains justice. Just get a rope and find the nearest cottonwood tree....
  11. Just to cover your butt, do check to see if there is a court date. You don't want to be a no-show. Gives the so called lawyer more fuel for his fire. We will see more lawyers do this kind of business. With the economy being bad right now, companies and consumers are not using their services as much. These guys are trying to make a quick buck any way they can and have gone the low road to the collections bully pulpit. They know by saying they are a "lawyer", they won't be questioned and people will pay. I have found the best way to deal with these guys if they mess up is to file a complaint w/
  12. My co-worker had the same problem. He parked the car in the street and then surrendered the keys to his bank. The city kept giving parking tickets long after he noitified the lender to get the surrendered car. After having to show up in court for the parking tickets he finally went to the bank that had the loan, w/ copies of the correspondence he had with the lender, and all the citations and copies of his court session. The city came and got the vehicle the next day by court order. The bank probably ended up paying the parking fees, towing and impound fees to get the vehicle back. At least it
  13. If they did that in Colorado it would be considered "gutter" service. Our law states we initally need to be served in person by a server. A good server would ask for identification or have proof of identification with them. Usually one would just have to show up in court, show the "documentaion" that was left and/or served by this kind of service and the judge could throw out the case by law of defective service. The trick these folks are now trying to do is serve you after the hearing. To me this runs in line with call spoofing on caller ID and other methods that skirt the laws. Abuse is regu
  14. Plus, I just sent you an e-mail regarding a conversation I had w/ my process server friend yesterday. Check your in-box on this board. Joanne
  15. Here is the response from a bonded Colorado process server who I have known for several years and has been in the business for a long time: "The rules of process say that you must offer the documents to the defendant. If the defendant refuses to accept them, they can be served by refusal. The server must have some communications with the defendant. He also can leave them with a family member over the age of 18 at the defendants place of abode, but they can not leave them by refusal to a family member. If no communications were made and he left the documents, that is considered "GUTTER SER