• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

About kb917

  • Rank

Profile Fields

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. If I file a motion to compel (same attorney, same JDB as OP), I am asking the court to compel the Plaintiff to provide all documents asked for in the BOP, including the Bill of Sale, correct? If they cannot answer/provide, it is inadmissible, correct? What would I file after that point? Motion to strike for lack of standing? Thanks!
  2. Is there a form to 'verify' the answer? My mom is getting sued by the same folks. They never once tried to collect, just sent the complaint. No reference to any account numbers, just a 'Citibank' in small print on one of the last pages. So, since I've done this before, I have most of her affirmative defenses ready, just doing some last minute research and came across the suggestion to verify the answer. Thanks!
  3. I filed my opposition and unfortunately, I was not prepared enough in that opposition, as the judge granted the MSJ. He noted that while I brought up items worth a defense, I did not have any evidence to support my issues. I would suggest that, even if you aren't sure you can do two motions at the same time (I think you can), do it anyway. Better to 'over-do' it than not enough. Unfortunately, in my case, I lost. I did file BK just in time, though (my case was over $25,000 and no way I can afford it). At least their lawyers had to spend time and money to fight me. Good luck. I wish I
  4. Just one? That seems like nothing for them to go on...is it a junk debt buyer? How many points do they have in their motion (usually, it goes line by line, stating what is undisputable)? If they haven't provided you with anything, you should try shooting out a bill of particulars request. Not sure if it is too late for that, though. If they can't provide you everything you request, they can't include it as evidence. And if your time for discovery isn't up, you still have a right to request it. Check your civil code of procedure. Seems like they couldn't have won on this had you fought
  5. Have they provided you a copy of the agreement? You can file an opposition stating that the actual damages are disputable as you have no contract to confirm or deny (since the amount is more than the balance - attorneys fees and such would be referred to in the contract/agreement). That's really all you can argue, if it is the case.
  6. So I guess I will be taking a big risk, then. If the motion goes through and my opposition gets denied, will the judgment be placed AT the hearing? I guess what I don't know, is if the judge will approve the opposition prior to the hearing?
  7. What happened at the hearing? Did the judge rule AT the hearing, or will he rule later? I have some timing issues here - I will have to file BK if he goes for a judgment, but I will have to do it before a judgment is rendered in order to avoid it.
  8. Don't roll over. That's what all of these creditors are counting on. They get the bailout money, sue you for more money and don't have to spend much on legal because most people are too intimidated by their tactics. Check online for the Florida rules of civil procedure. Their motion should include a "statement of facts". You need to go line by line and either list as disputed, or undisputed, and then list why. If they list in their statement that they have 'damages' - you can dispute that they have failed to mitigate their damages. Did they attach an affidavit to the motion? If so, did
  9. When I say "use CCP 98", I meant that they violated it and I could use it against them...but that doesn't apply since it is unlimited. The declaration is sound as far as the declarant "swear(s) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of California that the foregoing is true and correct?" She did that, yes. However, she states that she has personal knowledge of the facts. There are quite a few hearsay statements in the declaration as well...alluding to the fact that because they practice business one way, that it must apply here, even if she doesn't have all the evidence. I have
  10. That's what I thought when I read it - uh...you're admitting you have no application? OR an original agreement? Ooookaaay, thanks? Ha. They do have statements, which is why I am not going for the MIL. On top of all of this, the woman in the declaration has been found guilty of robo-signing and robo-testimony. AND, tons of stuff in the news about a certain BIG NAME CREDITOR (who shall remain nameless;) ) who is now being forced to refund customers over $85mil in interest and late fees (the exact type of account in this suit). I want to buy as much time as possible to see how THAT plays o
  11. Like the other poster said - if you didn't file an adequate answer with the court, you are pretty much screwed. Sorry. I had assumed, since you went to court already and a judge gave you more time, that you had followed the process? If so, start looking on this site for some more help on how to file your opposition to the motion. How far out is the hearing? In California, you only have until 14 days prior to the hearing to file an opposition.
  12. Thanks - I found it. Darn. Although I did find that declarations in unlimited civil cases are considered hearsay. If it comes down to trial, I can use that, right? I am sending my opposition right now - thank you for your insight and expertise.
  13. Are you being sued by the Original Creditor (OC)? If not, fight it. Junk debt buyers don't have nearly as much pull as an OC. If you are going against the OC, you should fight it too but it may be more difficult. If you file BK Chp 7, they get zip. If you file 13, you will be paying them for the next 5 years. Good luck.
  14. I did find this quote from the OC Courts website: In small claims court police reports and medical bills can be introduced into evidence without having the police officer or doctor in court to authenticate the document. In a Limited or Unlimited Civil case these out-of-court statements (called hearsay under the rules of evidence) are generally not allowed, particularly if you want to use them to prove the information that is in them. This is one of the reasons why it is difficult for non-lawyers to try a case in the Superior Court. The rules of evidence are complicated and can make it difficul
  15. My case is with an OC. The trial date is set for December 3, but they have filed a motion for summary judgement. I am filing my opposition - their entire basis for their evidence hinges on this woman. Here is the case that was dismissed because of her testimony:American Express Bank v. Tancreto and here is an article about it. Now, I am sure I can't use CCP 98 in this case - as it is unlimited. It would be nice to use it since she signed in Maine. But if her declaration (NOT an affidavit) is really considered hearsay, I'd like to do something about that. And, she admits in her declaratio