Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Motion to deem admitted'.
Found 2 results
I was wondering if I could get an opinion on what someone should do if they find themselves in this situation. Lets say I got sued by portfolio recovery for a past credit account around the amount of $1750 in California. After receiving discovery, I simply decided to exercise the right to plead the fifth because to my understanding (which at the time was limited and still is), to have answered the questions would be testifying against myself. Also, is it not the Plaintiff who holds the burden of proof needed to win the case? Consequently, A motion to deem admissions was entered and court date will be in a few weeks. Would it be a better idea at this point to just answer the discovery or should I just ride this one out and push the point that unless there's proof of the debt, how can there be a judgment against me? Also, if completing discovery ends up being my best option, would it be wise to file it with the court so that the judge might see it and decide not deem the truth of facts specified in the motion to be deemed admitted in his tentative ruling? Thank you
Hi- These forums have been extremely helpful as we've prepared defense paperwork on what appears to be junk debt buying by LVNV Funding represented by Nelson Kennard in Sacramento, CA. We responded to their discovery req. for Adm, Prod of Docs and Form Interrog. with help from many on this forum. We've met for CM and Settlement Conf. and trial date is set for 6/6/14. (At the CM and Settlement Conf., Nelson& Kennard sent a local atty who was not familiar with the case and appeared confused. He did agree to the trial date) We sent our own Discovery request on 12/31/13 and Plaintiff has not responded at all. We have read a lot of conflicting information on Motion to Compel - should it be sent? We've read on the forum that it forces the Plaintiff to do their homework, and it may be better to sit back and respond to any of their filings. We want to make sure we follow through with best practice for a most positive outcome. What is the next best step for us? More importantly, how do we correctly create and file a Motion to Compel Discovery and how do we create and file a "Motion to Deem admitted" our Req. for Admissions? We've researched and can't seem to find a "template" to follow for these 2 items. We would appreciate any guidance. On the forums, we've read that the date for the 45 day time period clock for filing a Motion to Compel starts with the date that the Responding party actually responds. We have not received any response, so are wondering if there is any due date for this since the time clock has not appeared to start. Lastly, can we request sanctions? How much is reasonable and is this a separate motion as well? Thanks!