Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'adult children'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Announcements
    • PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING / Board Announcements
    • Resources
  • Credit Repair
    • Credit Repair
    • Collections
    • Credit Bureaus/Reports/Scores
    • Identity Theft
  • Legal Issues
    • Is There a Lawyer in the House
    • Bankruptcy Q and A
  • Debt Validation
    • While You are In It Debt Validation Q and A
    • Debt Settlement
  • Loans and Banking
    • Obtaining Credit Cards, Auto Loans and Financing
    • Mortgages
    • Student Loans
    • Banking and Finance
  • Non Credit
    • Off Topic

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start







Found 2 results

  1. Ok so I'm new to this process and when I discovered I could "e-file" I envisioned uploading a few pdf files before midnight... it's now 6:24pm and midnight is approaching before I'm technically judgement-eligible... Can I call the actual debt-buyer tomorrow and settle (lump sum) before the attorneys have the chance to file to enter judgement and garnish wages, etc? If so, what document do I request from the debt buyer to prove the debt is cleared to the courts? Just a $0 balance? Would I still be liable for the fees the lawyers accrued for filing the suit? Thanks,
  2. Hello, I am being pursued (one letter, one voice mail) by a collection agency in CA called Cedar Financial. The bill is for about $1700 from medical services provider that my adult son must have used. My son and I have been estranged for almost two years (he turned 18 this past April). He lives with his mother in CA while I live in VA outside Wash, DC. Neither he nor his mother (with whom I have been divorced for 4 years) communicate with me. I had no participation in the medical transaction, and know nothing of the services provided. The date of service if from after his 18th birthday. When a minor, his mother had primary custody of him in CA, although we had joint legal custody even though we lived 3000 miles apart. Obviously the collection agency is having difficulty extracting the money from my ex wife, so they somehow found me in VA and sent me that letter. I called them and told them the circumstances, that is, the estrangement between me and son and ex. I explained to the agency that whatever the circumstances, his mother almost certainly arranged for medical services on behalf of my son. I told the credit agency that I do not intend to pay this bill and don't believe I am obligated to. The credit agency did not seem to have my ex's contact information. I provided them a PO Box in CA. I communicated to them that I do not know her physical address (ex refuses to tell me where she and son live). I do provide spousal support for ex, but not son any longer now that he is an adult. I send checks directly to her bank. Anyway, the agency called me back today. They left a message saying it is important that I return their call. I don't want to return their call as I feel I have no obligation to them. However, I am not sure what I should do. Do I need to get back to them? I provided the only information to them that I had (the PO box). What is my responsibility and what are my rights here? Can they say I am obligated to pay and therefore make me pay or else destroy my credit? I would be grateful for any insights. Sorry for the long post, and I look forward to hearing back from people. Thank you!
  • Create New...