Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'california litigation'.
Found 1 result
Newbie here. I have been reading all of the information on this site for several weeks now, and believe I now am "up to speed" enough to post here for suggestions and/or advice. I also realize there is a basic list of questions I should repost (along with pertinent information) to get the ball rolling, but frankly I have so many issues to address, I will most likely need the assistance of the Moderator in determining which thread my posts/questions belong in. I do know that I must address the legal issues first (like the default judgments) but after starting the ball rolling with those, I have other "fish to fry" if I (we) are to better our credit situation. Long story short - like most folks, DH and I both suffered job losses (1 month apart actually) in late 2008/2009 due to lousy economy. Almost lost house, had car repossessed, and had to use credit cards to make COBRA payments and to pay basic living expenses. Able to regain employment, but at nowhere near previous income levels. Was advised by counsel (at the time) to stop paying the credit cards (which we did in 2009). Took in terminally ill in-laws (both have now passed) DH had major health problem....life happens. Discovered recently that DH has TWO default judgments against him, one discovered by accident (won't bore you with details) and one discovered when he was mailed a copy of a Subpoena Duces Tecum served upon the Custodian of Records for another banking institution who has NOTHING to do with the original creditor (Cap One). He filed a Motion to Quash the subpoena, and the SDT was promptly cancelled by counsel for Cap One. Presumably the original SDT was filed in order to attempt to gather info so they can collect on the Judgment, but when they saw what evidence we intended to introduce at the motion hearing, they very quickly cancelled the subpoena. Fast forward to now, and we discover a second default judgment in the Court record, and SOL issues pending for us to attempt a motion to vacate the judgment due to the fact he was never served with either Complaint. I have seen a few recent posts from others in California asking for input and advice with respect to motions to vacate judgments with no responses. Is that because it is impossible at this point? We are living very happily (and efficiently) without credit cards and have been for the last 5 yrs. - we don't really want or need another. However, we are really in need of a reliable (newer) car that we can drive to and from chemo appointments, without the risk of breakdown, and in order to even have a chance to buy a newer vehicle, we need to clean up some of this "mess." Also, the always lurking threat of a garnishment due to either of the Judgments is now in the back of our minds. Specifically, looking for input from those who have undertaken motions to vacate, preferably in California. TIA for any input or guidance you can provide.