sisflomi

Rebuild Your Credit

78 posts in this topic

One card which helped me (you can also search it on this website) was the BoA secured credit card. It helped beef up my credit whenever I started, but my scores were in the 500's, so I had to pay a little money up front.

Since your scores are in the mid-600's, I would try for a gas card or department store card. What type of card do you currently have? Then I would stick with those credit cards for awhile until your credit score increases. But also remember, try to shop around for cards that will benefit you when using it - reward points, travel, etc. If you want to wait, I would try the 1st above suggestion - gasoline or department store card.

Thanks for the reply :)

I currently have one HSBC cc. I have been researching this entire thread on which retail or gas card is best for me. I think we are going to try with Kay Jewelers and possible Valero Gas.

ohmigoodness! I just joined this forum and took the first person on the list's advice sisflomi and applied for the Household Bank card and was approved for $300!!! I am so excited. Thank you so much. This has been a long road for me, but when I finally sat down and applied myself, items that I disputed have either shown paid and/or deleted. Even the Studen Aid Commission had 2 items on my report that should have shown paid siince 2006!!!! Thank you all so much for your help! I am on my way to becoming a homeowner. It is sad that I am 51 and this will be my first home. Thanx again!!!!

ohmigoodness! I just joined this forum and took the first person on the list's advice sisflomi and applied for the Household Bank card and was approved for $300!!! I am so excited. Thank you so much. This has been a long road for me, but when I finally sat down and applied myself, items that I disputed have either shown paid and/or deleted. Even the Studen Aid Commission had 2 items on my report that should have shown paid siince 2006!!!! Thank you all so much for your help! I am on my way to becoming a homeowner. It is sad that I am 51 and this will be my first home. Thanx again!!!!

At least good things are happening for you and you will be able to afford and love your home! It's nice when you start getting your life together!! Congrats on the success; big or small!

thankyou so much, Esquire. Would you please explain the bottom information you have on your emails? Is that how much you have in credit lines from these companies? And how long did it take you to obtain those lines? Also, after you rec'd your first cc, how many months did you wait before you applied for more credit? Thanx. I am slowly starting over and do not want to fall back into the non-credit card hole. :lol: Thanx for any information.

thankyou so much, Esquire. Would you please explain the bottom information you have on your emails? Is that how much you have in credit lines from these companies? And how long did it take you to obtain those lines? Also, after you rec'd your first cc, how many months did you wait before you applied for more credit? Thanx. I am slowly starting over and do not want to fall back into the non-credit card hole. :lol: Thanx for any information.

Sure. I'll explain my sig for you. I started off with the secured BoA cc and an Express CC. I waited until my BoA card became unsecured, and then I applied for the Hooter's card. From there, I just waited until my scores improved and got the others; now I only use my Southwest Airlines and CareCredit cc's. I am however, going to apply for the Fidelty AMEX cc to help with contributions to my roth acct.

Overall, it took me about 2 years on my CC repair journey. Last card I applied for was 7 months ago - Southwest Airlines.

Hope this helps you out!

Hooters, really? :shock: What is Express and Carecredit? I tried gas cards and jewelry store, but maybe i have applied too soon? How long should I wait? If I am asking too many dumb questions, let me know. I'm not going to blow my credit this time and don't want to make any unnecessary mistakes. Thank you for your time.

Hooters, really? :shock: What is Express and Carecredit? I tried gas cards and jewelry store, but maybe i have applied too soon? How long should I wait? If I am asking too many dumb questions, let me know. I'm not going to blow my credit this time and don't want to make any unnecessary mistakes. Thank you for your time.

Yes, Hooters! You should do a search on the website about the Hooters card. Many people on this site have applied for the Hooters card. It's a pretty simple one to get with numbers in the high 500's and 600's.

Express - clothing store - don't use

CareCredit -for dental and vet clinic

Well, if you got declined, I would not apply for any other cards until you see your credit report. After you have reviewed your credit report, you will be able to create a plan.

I waited until items started getting deleted/removed from my credit reports, and waited for my scores to climb before I started applying for credit cards. I only applied for credit cards I knew I would be approved for.

You can do a search for "whogivescredit" I believe, which is a nice website to give you an idea, but give in mind about the previous credit crunch...

Hope this helps out some.

Esquire, you are awesome. Your above post helped me out too. I am going to look into that Hooters card...do you know which report they pull? Im trying to stay away from EQ..they are my low score (under 630)

Esquire, you are awesome. Your above post helped me out too. I am going to look into that Hooters card...do you know which report they pull? Im trying to stay away from EQ..they are my low score (under 630)

I honestly don't remember, but I bet you could call Merrick bank and they would let you know. Also, just do a search on the Hooters card from this website and I'm sure someone posted which CA they pull from.

will do! :)

I mentioned in another thread that I have one unsecured card and I also have one card that was a result from a debt conversion (it is almost paid off) The debt conversion card charges a yearly fee, so I dont know if that is considered secured or unsecured...?

Can I rebuild my credit from just those two cc's? or is it important to have several cc's in order to rebuild? I applied for a gas card and got denied. Found out they pull from EQ which is my low score. My TU is my mid-high 600 score...but I dont want to risk anymore inquires at this time. I just wondered if continually to pay my car loan that I got last year on time and paying off my cc's each month and then putting a small balance back on them, would suffice in helping me rebuild.

thank you again. :)

I honestly don't remember, but I bet you could call Merrick bank and they would let you know. Also, just do a search on the Hooters card from this website and I'm sure someone posted which CA they pull from.

I also think it depends on what state you live in. I know other members have stated that different reports have been pulled for some of the same cards I've applied for.

yup, got denied for Hooters and Kay Jewelers. I decided to stop until I see my report. I am vigorously working on getting items deleted and paid. and now i have the daggum inquiries from applying too soon. i made my first payment on my hbc card --- way before payment was due. Thanx for all of the advice. What do you know of CreditKeepers? HHB is going to charge me $9/mo for the service. Any comments, suggestions. Also, I have a debt with Midnight Velvet. After several phone calls to different collection agencies (*sigh*); I was connected to a voice. The bill is $1300 and she told me they could only settle for $1150. I asked for a lower payment and she told me that was the best she could do. Help! Thanx!

Trixie,

if you havent done so already, I think you should read the Newbie Primer thread. It will help you navigate through the jargon used here and also will show links on step by step credit repair. I would stop applying for any credit until you have seen your reports. Have you already ordered them? If not, by applying for credit and getting denied, you get a free copy of your CR. I would get my CR, go over them in detail, and circle items that you dont recognize, paid off, dont remember, etc. Dispute with all 3 CRA's. It's a long process, but this website will help you tremendously. Just read through the credit repair forum.

As far as the CA....it states here that you should NEVER call and speak to a CA. Wait until you get your reports and find out who that debt is owned to (if you dont remember.) You want to deal with the OC here. There are many steps to follow in order to do things the right way, the right way being keeping you out of court, so it is best to follow them in order and to the T before going any further.

Good luck! I think you are taking the right steps to clear up your CR :)

when you say pay off half b4 first payment is due etc does this mean say for example i got a orchard bank secured card for $200... do u charge the full $200 or less?

Less. In fact, before you charge anything you want to make sure you have credit available and keep your charges less than 50% of the limit. In fact, to get the better scores, its best to have your utilizaition under 10%.

thank you for the advice formercreditidiot. i am late reading this -- so i have already settled most accounts, but i will look at the Newbie Primer thread.

As a reminder if they run your report it will lower your score, the first question i would ask if they run your credit report first?

You don't want too many IQ's.

FYI Steer clear of BOA !!! My Experian score was at 595 - i knw that sucks and I was told they don't look at this or that blah blah..and I GOT DENIED! for a secured CARD!...so I am going to try Public Savings Bank - NO credit check but they do report to all 3. got fees though - I think $79 upfront and $50 annual or something like that.

What is your opinion on these seasoned credit enhancement companies? Open to anyone to answer. Based on your opinion, have you tried any? If so can you make a recommendation.

i say that there are really credit repair companies out there that can enhance your credit. but before you get one, make sure that the company is well established, been operating for several years already and is composed of lawyers and legal experts so that your payment wouldnt be wasted. i had tried [REDACTED] and they are doing good on my credit score.

i say that there are really credit repair companies out there that can enhance your credit. but before you get one, make sure that the company is well established, been operating for several years already and is composed of lawyers and legal experts so that your payment wouldnt be wasted. i had tried Legacy Legal and they are doing good on my credit score.
And I say they are all scams. Some screw you a little, some screw you a lot. Debt Fixers are actually CAs that operatye with the "more flys with honey" principal. And, because you get a 3rd party involved, you give up your rights under the FDCPA.

Run away.

Good thing to help in order to fix or boost your credit is by using bad credit secured credit card