retmar

Ever Heard of this Law?

My sister received a notice in her PO Box from a CA regarding our Mother, who has passed away. It was regarding a Medical Bill that the OC messed up when billing. Either way, the notice stated a law I have never heard of nor can I find reference to. It is written as "PL 95-109 FDCA". Does anyone know?

Thanks Sis. I always knew the FDCPA as falling under USC 15. Even when I put in Public Law as a heading, it wouldn't come up. The particular site you gave is not too informative, is it.

Debts of the deceased are paid out of the estate. If the decedent left no estate, then the creditors are out of luck. There's also a time limit for creditors to make claims against the estate and if they miss that window --well.. tough tooties !!! Don't let the creditor/collector bully you into thinking the family has ANY liability for that debt.

Debts of the deceased are paid out of the estate. If the decedent left no estate, then the creditors are out of luck. There's also a time limit for creditors to make claims against the estate and if they miss that window --well.. tough tooties !!! Don't let the creditor/collector bully you into thinking the family has ANY liability for that debt.

What if their spouse has the money to pay for the debts but refuses? What is the time limit for creditors to make claims against an estate?

Is the money the spouse has part of the deceased's estate ???

If not, then the spouse has NO obligation to pay the creditor, period. Was the estate probated ?

How long a creditor has to file a claim against an estate is defined in your State statutes, so it varies.

I'm glad I started this thread as it might help some who don't understand "estates" that well. Lady, I really appreciate your input. We were not totally aware of all matters when Mom was failing, so we just liquididated everything except personal memories to assist in her care. When that ran out, we put her on Medical. It was totally legal as we checked with Medical. We were told all assets must be expended first before applying. This also included health insurance, but, not medicare. Since Mom was a renter, her only assets were her car, furnishings, etc. As I had mentioned before, she had no debts as we paid all of them off, including all CC's. Therefore, all we kids got were photos and a lot of good memories. Fortunately, none of us were greedy. For example, we divided photos as to who was in them. They got originals. I then took each and made copies for the others off of my system. It worked out quite well. I say this to show others there are many ways to avoid the unavoidable problems that can arise on ones passing.