Sign in to follow this  
insider

trial date 7/22/03 HELP!!!

This utterly stupid CA suing on a time-barred debt wouldn't be a$$-et Acceptance would it ?? They are notorious for suing on time-barred debts !

The CA is PLatinum Financial Serv. They are located in Rockville, Md

Ok so if I understand correctly....If the CA has violated 4 sections of the FDCPA, I can only sue for 1,000.00 plus court cost and lost wages, right? I get so confused!

Hey Grantjeffries, this lawyer in Chicago, do you think they would take a case in Mo.?

I personally have a problem with getting a lawyer to begin with. I have sued for child support twice and won. I have sued my landlord for not giving me my deposit and won. And I have been in court over a traffic ticket and argued my case and won. In other words, Im no stranger to court. But obviously, the Judge does not like dealing w/regular folks

Ok so if I understand correctly....If the CA has violated 4 sections of the FDCPA, I can only sue for 1,000.00 plus court cost and lost wages, right? I get so confused!

Hey Grantjeffries, this lawyer in Chicago, do you think they would take a case in Mo.?

I personally have a problem with getting a lawyer to begin with. I have sued for child support twice and won. I have sued my landlord for not giving me my deposit and won. And I have been in court over a traffic ticket and argued my case and won. In other words, Im no stranger to court. But obviously, the Judge does not like dealing w/regular folks

Ok so if I understand correctly....If the CA has violated 4 sections of the FDCPA, I can only sue for 1,000.00 plus court cost and lost wages, right?

Yes, but it's not an automatic $1,000. It's up to a $1,000. So it could $250. The amount is for the court to decide.

Getting a judge/commissioner/magistrate to give you the full $1,000 is a crap shoot at best. Most of them are WOEFULLY IGNORANT when it comes to credit law.

I sued EQ in small claims. Used the Calif code and even provided the commissioner with references. She gave me $100 per address for their violations plus $50 court costs. Law provided for $100 to $1000, so she gave me the low end. She also gave me injunctive relief in that she ordered EQ to delete the addresses from my report as well.

Yeah, in Arizona, you don't even have to have a law degree to be a judge in small claims, which can work for or against you....

Same here in PA. They're "elected" officials with no law degree and just six weeks of "judge" training.

I'm wondering. Can you sue a small claims magistrate for incompetence?