?????'s about HIPAA ACT

donnak

It pertains to your rights when you obtain medical care, such as your privacy. You can read all about it here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

You can also go here and read back through the links and do searches on hippa. http://www.cardreport.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

You will want to ask whychat the questions or even read through most of his posts about hipaa to understand it.

In a nutshell.

HIPAA requires the Department of Health and Human Services ("HHS") to implement safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of health records.

The Privacy Rule prohibits a covered entity from using or disclosing an individual's protected health information ("PHI") unless specifically authorized by the individual or otherwise allowed under the Privacy Rule.

In general, PHI encompasses substantially all "individually identifiable health information" that is transmitted or maintained in any medium. "Individually identifiable health information" includes health information that is created or received by a health care provider, health plan, employer, or health care clearinghouse, and that relates to an individual's physical or mental health or condition, including information related to an individual's care or the "PAYMENT" for such care.

I have pointed this out to the original medical creditor and paid them with a conditional endorsement and ask that they have the CA delete from all their records anything associated with the debt and that they have the CA remove anything from the CRA's.

Here it is verbatum from the OCR Privacy Brief (OCR = Office for Civil Rights), published by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. Document

Protected Health Information. The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."

Individually identifiable health information” is information, including demographic data, that relates to:·

*the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or condition, ·

*the provision of health care to the individual, or ·

*the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual,

and that identifies the individual or for which there is a reasonable basis to believe can be used to identify the individual. Individually identifiable health information includes many common identifiers (e.g., name, address, birth date, Social Security Number).

The Privacy Rule excludes from protected health information employment records that a covered entity maintains in its capacity as an employer and education and certain other records subject to, or defined in, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. §1232g.De-Identified Health Information. There are no restrictions on the use or disclosure of de-identified health information. De-identified health information neither identifies nor provides a reasonable basis to identify an individual. There are two ways to de-identify information; either: 1) a formal determination by a qualified statistician; or 2) the removal of specified identifiers of the individual and of the individual’s relatives, household members, and employers is required, and is adequate only if the covered entity has no actual knowledge that the remaining information could be used to identify the individual.

• 3 weeks later...

My credit is loaded with medical bills, mostly from my twins being born premature and one having had two major heart surgeries. Would anyone have a sample letter of what to send to the original medical creditor. Since HIPPA is new, would this apply to old medical collections, etc. on my credit? It looks to me that reporting any information to a CRA and /or CA is prohibited but I am not 100% on how to use HIPPA.

Any help is appreciated!

Collectors are bound by the new HIPAA guidelines which were effective a few months ago, however can still use information obtained (and obtain information) to effect debt collection. It should be noted the act does not ensure health information will ever be totally private, but that reasonable safeguards are in place to protect patient information without excluding payors, etc. One such provision is that computer screens not be visible from waiting areas and that extra precautions be taken to avoid data spills through networks, email and the like.

Donnak, I have a link that will help you:

http://community-2.webtv.net/YCHANGE/STORAGE/page14.html

This is a link to a letter provided by WhyChat to clear medical collections. The letter explains how to do everything and use HIPAA properly.

I took sisflomi's advice and did a search on HIPAA in the archived discussion board on this site and got some good information. WhyChat's board also had a lot of good discussion.

Some of what I have read has been too technical for me so I am with you on plain English! I am nearly overwhelmed with all the information and should almost be ashamed of how much time I spend on these sites! I would recommend that you look through the threads in both sites because I noticed that one small detail in one thread might have the answer in another thread. I've looked through enough threads to knit a blanket!

I hope this information helps. I am very new to this so please let me know if you come across anything new so that we can make sense of it all get this stuff cleared together!

Thank you to all of you for sharing your stories, good and bad. It gives me hope.

Jayls,

I so am with on the information, I will try to loo things over this week and see what I come up with. Like you there are so many pieces in the different threads it is hard for me to put everything together.

I will keep you updated if I find anything new. Thanks for the link.