Judgements

vchevres

How long does a Judgement stay on file. I had a judgement placed on my Experian file back in 2000 (co-signed for someone who didn't pay back the loan) I have paid the balance that was owed before I found this site and I'm wondering what steps I can take to get this removed from my file.

1) Cases under title 11 [united States Code] or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than 10 years.

(2) Civil suits, civil judgments, and records of arrest that from date of entry, antedate the report by more than seven years or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period.

(3) Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.

(4) Accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the report by more than seven years.(1)

(5) Any other adverse item of information, other than records of convictions of crimes which antedates the report by more than seven years.1