Collection Agency refuses to issue PIF Letter

andy_123

New to the board, thought someone might be able to shed some insight on my situation. I've had multiple collection accounts on some Medical Bills my ex and I have been going rounds on. He refuses to pay his share (according to our Divorce Decree) so I've refused to pay the collection agency until NOW.

I'm in the process of trying to close my mortgage loan and paid FINANCIAL SERVICES the balances IN FULL on 6 Medical Bills they've had in collection. I paid the $815 they DEMANDED so I could finish my loan. After paying it they are now REFUSING to provide a receipt showing that the accounts are PIF (or even a statement showing the acct balances and that the payment was processed).

According to the whiz bang supervisor I talked to, their company policy states "We will NOT provide a PIF letter until 30 days after the payment was made....this is to ensure the payment is not disputed or reversed...then we're out the money". Last time I checked you can dispute charges from your account older than 30 days. Even if soemone calls (Mortgage CO) to verify the debt was paid, they refuse to tell the Mortgage company that the acct is PIF!!

Is this LEGAL? Do I have any recourse on this company??? I can't afford to lose the money I've got down on the house or the house itself!

Frustrated.

:evil:

If you paid through your bank, proof that the check cleared should be evidence enough for what you need done.

They know this is important, and are more than likely screwing with you because they enjoy it. Once you close, file a complaint against them with the FTC, your State Attorney General and the BBB.

If a complaint is filed after the closing with the FTC, BBB and State Agency what if anything will they be able to do?

Second Question: I had a total of 22 collection accounts which have been cleared up over the past couple of months. I pulled my CR tonight and to date none of the information has been updated to show the accounts have been paid and closed. I do have letters from the other CA's showing the accounts paid in full. Is there a quick way to get these Accounts updated or even deleted from my report? Originally my Score was 603 prior to the payoffs, will my score increase much once the accts are closed (I've heard paid collections are as bad as open collections)?

According to the whiz bang supervisor I talked to, their company policy states "We will NOT provide a PIF letter until 30 days after the payment was made....this is to ensure the payment is not disputed or reversed...then we're out the money".

I've had checks come back NSF fully a month after it was paid. Nothing sucks more than having $1000 bounce back.

I can't find any laws pertaining to providing a receipt for payment, although I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

Given your time restraint, I believe getting copies of the cleared checks will suffice for now.

By filing a complaint with your state AG, the AG office will inquire about the events directly to the CA and force them to respond. If something has been done illegally, this arms you with a means to bring litigation against the CA if you so choose.

The FTC compiles a list of like complaints and if it is determined that there is a serious pattern of violation, will make a move against the company.

The BBB will attempt to mediate a solution.

You can try to take this up with the CA at their corporate level. See if you can't find a Director of Compliance or their legal counsel. It could very well be that the "supervisor" is violating the law, and is feeding you a line.

When you're at the closing, armed with your proof of payment, you can have them call the CA headquarters and inquire to the status. They may react differently and fax over proof the debt was satsified.

I've had checks come back NSF fully a month after it was paid. Nothing sucks more than having $1000 bounce back.

I understand what your saying however, the check has cleared (over a week ago now) and they have the $ in hand. The CA's position is that I would put a stop payment or dispute the charge.

Most state Attorney General's Offices won't force anyone to respond, unless they conduct ana ctual investigation, which is EXTREMELY rare and would never do it unless there are numerous complaints against a particular company. If the company does not respond usually a second form letter will be sent regarding the complaint. If still no response, maybe a follow-up phone call or something. If still no luck, a letter will be sent to the consumer saying the company has not responded.