Stolen SSN, but nothing bad yet...

lizandjerry

A while back my fiance's brother was staying with us. He stole my car, which I had taken care of, but I come to find out months and months later that my Social Security Card is gone too. I am positive that he did this, because he stole his girlfriends son's social since he had the same initials and used it as his own. I since received my credit reports and there is nothing unusual on it. However, when he was staying with us, I found that he also used my checks to order "nudey" sites on the internet, but since this had gone on for 1.5 years without my knowledge I had no recourse (and I couldnt "prove" that it was him). Nothing derogatory came out of the "nudey" sites since I cancelled and it was already paid, but should I do something to protect myself in case he decides to use it in the future? Also come to find out that my fiance's credit is ruined because of this. He attempted to get a contract on a phone and when they ran his credit they advised him that they could not approve or deny him credit because the name and birthdate came up as someone else. They would not tell him whose name came up (for "security reasons") but they told him that he would have to get this straightened out. I am going to have him call each of the credit bereaus and put a fraud alert on each of them, but I dont think we'll ever be able to prove it was him. One more question, my fiance is rather "slow" getting around to these things. He isnt really as interested in his credit as I am. When I found out that his identity was stole I was more irate than he was. Is there any way that I could call on his behalf if he's in the background while I'm talking to the agency, or will they refuse to talk to me? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can add a fraud alert to his report online using experian. Here is the link to do that:

www.experian.com/consumer/cac/25_FraudCenterWelcomeGoBack.jsp

Go to 90 day alert and it will walk you through it. Once exp has it on his reports, they will send it over to the other 2 cras. They only leave it there for 90 days, though TU says 1 year.

You can also go here and read up on id theft, it has really helpful links to use.

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114&highlight=

Best get a police report filed! Call the CRAs to activate Fraud Alert - also send in copy of your cell phone or home phone bill to add victim statement to the credit report. This would say Please call to verify identity prior to extending credit!

This way if he tries something like this again you have him dead caught!

Also the reason to move now, is that because by law if you are to be within your rights to claim fraud it has to be within 2 years of the crime, not from discovery of the crime!

Creditors usually won't honor just a dispute of ID Theft without you giving them a good reason to believe you and this takes documentation like filing police report & completing an ID Theft Affidavit.

Follow up with the bank on the checks; also report to the FTC about the case, contact Social Security (if you have more problems - in some cases you can get a new social security number issued).

This is very serious and you only have a small window left to protect your rights; damage can hurt and follow you 7 to 10 years on the credit reports. And this is not the full extent of what can happen...

Thanks to everyone who responded for their help. I am going to fill out the appropriate paperwork and distribute them to the appropriate credit agency. I am going to contact social security reguarding my stolen SSC and hope everything goes well from there. Thanks again. :lol:

I wonder if they replace ss#'s when they are stolen. I know they used to let you get a new ss# and name if you were a victim of domestic violence, wonder if they still do that too. Anyone know how they do things now? They did the change for domestic just 4 years ago. Could have changed now though.