drj99

DV on Paid Collections

Before I entered the world of credit repair I paid some collection accounts, perhaps innadvertantly, and now they are listed in the negative section of my file with the SOL a long way off.

Here is a multipart question:

1) Can one do a DV on a paid collection based on Not Mine if I believe I may have innadvertantly paid an account that was not mine?

2) Do I use the same system of DV to the CA and then Not Mine to the CRA upon receipt of the RR?

3) Do you think it would be helpful to let the CA know that they have the option to not respond to the DV if they agree to not verify to the CRA? I mean why would they want to expend time and resources responding to my DV when the thing is already paid and I will agree to drop the Not Mine just to be done with it? Or is it bad strategy to discuss these things with them in the correspondence?

Thanks,

Steve

1) Yep

2) Yep

3) Nah, I wouldn't put anything in writing that gives them wiggle room. Stick to your guns, just because you paid it, doesn't get them out of having to show you what is valid.

I had 9 paid collections 3 months ago, now I'm down to a single charge-off I'm getting push back.

Why do all these dissapear so easily? Is it because they don't have the necessary documentation or because they have little vested interest in expending effort to do what is required of them?

Steven

I lost one paid collection just by disputing with credit bureau. And lost another by goodwill. I would dispute with the credit bureau first if you haven't already.

I lost one paid collection just by disputing with credit bureau. And lost another by goodwill. I would dispute with the credit bureau first if you haven't already.

Can this or has this worked for late pays: i.e. 30 days late, paid about a year ago?

I have 2 on my CR that are paid, but are reporting 30 days late. I was thinking about disputing it first, then DV'ing it. I am not sure since this is not a collection account.

Oh yeah, is it better to not have a paid on at all if it has been late, or showing a 30 day late that has been paid?

I got a paid collection removed last week by using a goodwill letter. Sent it last Monday and as of today it is already off 2 reports, should be off the third any day.

I helped a coworker last week who wanted to check his report and fix anything bad on there (he is preparing to sell his house and buy another). He had a couple late payments reported a couple years ago. He called the company (not sure what dept he talked with) and explained that he loved the card and the service (you know... the usual butt kissing) and had noticed they reported him being late a couple years back in '05... yet he was sure he was always on time. They said they would correct it. He sent me an email this morning saying it was off! His score only jumped around 5 points though, so I guess they weren't effecting it that much. Still... every point helps!

Can this or has this worked for late pays: i.e. 30 days late, paid about a year ago?

Oh yeah, is it better to not have a paid on at all if it has been late, or showing a 30 day late that has been paid?

I disputed a cap one as never late, it was 4 years old and listing 30. 60, and 90 days lated from long ago. I'll be darned, they removed the lates, and changed to derogatory to a positive.

My personal opinion is a paid with a 30 day late is better than not paying... a 30 that went unpaid, could verywell turn into a 60, 90, 120.... I just think it is easier to use goodwill to remove lates, than having to ask for a PFD. That is just my opinion, someone else probably differs.

It's also my understanding that you are supposed to dispute with big three first... its all part of the process....

Good luck in your credit adventures

I also got rid of one of mine via goodwill, but I would first dispute with the CRA, then if they don't come off, goodwill them off!

Remember that if you dispute an otherwise positive TL to get rid of a late payment, you run the risk of the entire TL being deleted.

Also, once a collection has been paid, it becomes exponentially harder to get a delete. If you have already paid it, give it your best shot, but do not pay a collection in the hopes that you can get a delete later. It may not happen. I have a paid collection that is due to fall off next month, because I paid it 6 years ago in the hope that it would fall off.

Remember that you are most probably beyond the 30 days for DV if you have already paid it, so a DV may not do you any good.

Remember that if you dispute an otherwise positive TL to get rid of a late payment, you run the risk of the entire TL being deleted.

Also, once a collection has been paid, it becomes exponentially harder to get a delete.

two VERY GOOD points (as usual for you dive :p).

If YOU had to wait that long for it to fall off, I guess only luck or chance will have it come off. But isn't it true that the longer it sits, the less damage it does...