Sign in to follow this  
alan2k032003

Could I appeal after small claim court judged?

Hi,

Could I file to civil court after I received the judgment document from small claim court if I believe the claim I got that is too far away from my damage?

It depends on your state. Here's something I found on nolo.com

If I lose my case in small claims court, can I appeal?

The answer depends on the state in which you live. Many states allow either party to appeal within a certain period of time, usually between 10 and 30 days, and obtain a new trial. In many states, appeals must be based solely on the contention that the judge made a legal mistake, and not on the facts of the case. Other states have their own unique rules. In California, for example, a defendant may appeal to the Superior Court within 30 days. A plaintiff may not appeal at all, although she can make a motion to correct clerical errors or to correct a decision based on a legal mistake.To find the law for your state, call your local small claims court clerk.

Here's the link:http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/ency/article.cfm/objectID/4DB7013C-0A71-481F-836AB0FB247DB508/catID/D80CF756-DBF6-432D-B625E7D1A29183D0#7EE094EE-8A06-48FC-B1E6808A451623E2

Lots of good small claims info especially lower left side of the page.