Sign in to follow this  
MikeyC23

Got a Letter from a Law Firm! Need some Help!!

Hello! This is my story: I just got a letter from a law firm trying to collect a debt that is over 5yrs old. Within the past 2 months, I have had this credit card charge off of $5k removed from my credit file and I have had the collection agency also removed from my credit file. NOW, this law firm is trying to collect this debt that is time barred and is NOW off of my credit profile. As of 7/03, this debt was removed and on 7/6, this law firm pulled my credit and is still trying to collect. Help! What do I do?

Part of the Letter states" Unless you notify this office with 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice, this office will obtain verification of this debt or obtain a copy of a Judgement and mail you a copy of such a judgement or verification. .........."

This debt has been removed from my credit... What do I do? What letter should I sent them to LEAVE ME ALONE!!! Do I call them????

Thanks!! Any help/letter, etc would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! = )

MikeyC23,

If the debt is barred by the SOL in your state, then simply ignore the letter. It is a probably a bogus firm.

or obtain a copy of a Judgement and mail you a copy of such a judgement or verification. .........."

I have had a similar experience. They cannot get a judgment against you unless they take you to court and you tell the judge that the debt is yours. The judge can then enter a judgment against you. I was taken to court, at which time I filed a document stating that the debt was not mine. I did this because I knew it was out of statute. Another court day was set for 2 months later, and, to my surprise, the other side's lawyer didn't show up, and the case was dismissed. My guess is that they figured out the debt was out of statute. So, unless you get a summons, just toss the letter.

Thank You! I've gotten some reponses as to send a C&D Letter and so forth....... I've gotten letter from law firms in the past and have ignored them and nothing has ever come up....

Thanks,

Mikey