sdc2027

IS this true?!

Your education level. It sounds arbitrary, but it’s true. A college-educated person is given more “points” than a high school graduate, for example.

The number of years you’ve lived in a single location. If you’ve moved around a lot, you lose precious points. If you’ve moved because of a better-paying job, you can recoup some of those points if your salary has increased, for example.

The number of years you’ve worked for a single employer. Scoring agencies like people who are stable. That’s why they assign more points to people who’ve lived in a particular place for several years or who’ve worked for a single employer for many years.

Are you a homeowner? If you are, you get additional points. Renters are considered more transient and less reliable to repay their loans.

cnbc finances

In another thread I asked if it was necessary to have correct employment information on my credit reports and the basic consensus was that it really didn't matter because the agencies were not really paying attention to that anymore. My reports are only showing jobs I had in college, 8 to 10 years ago. They don't list more recent jobs or salary information at all. Nor do they list dates OR job titles. So if they DO take that into consideration, I have no idea how. Maybe that's contributing to my low scores? Who knows.

As for owning a home... I'm pretty sure that IS counted higher than renting.

I think we (or I) got a bit silly in the thread you're referring to- sorry. I think the consensus was more in regards to the CRA's trying to get away from listing/updating personal information though - not that it didn't matter if it was on there. They try to get away with anything they can though, like procedural descriptions, 5 day notice of re-insertions, DLA's, reporting late dates etc.

I actually didn't know all this played a role, I've been trying to dispute the whacky addresses they have for me, they're using my online billpayment in another state that have changed 3 times and every month, it looks like I've fled the state.

You are allowed to dispute ANYTHING in your file, sometimes CRA's are a little slow to catch on to that- at least until you threaten to file suit.

Swede,

Thanks for the clarification!

So, I am in the middle of my first 30-day dispute with the CRAs. In this dispute, I challenged several charge-offs as "not mine", plus a couple of late pays. I did not, however, dispute old addresses or employment. At what point can I go back and dispute those? Do I need to wait until I get through this first round? Or can I start another dispute while this one is still ongoing?

Thanks!

[Edit by creditconfusion on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 @ 08:54 PM]