Please help (re-aging prob)

yari20

:confused:

Ok, here goes. I had an account from Spiegel which was opened 4/1995 and closed 12/1997. It has been deleted (or rolled off)from my TransUnion credit report. So far, no problem. But I just received my report and found that there is a collection agency that is trying to collect on this account. The thing is that their information states that this account was

PLACED (??) on 8/2002.

What does this mean? Are they trying to re-age it? They're not claiming it was opened on 8/02 but this account is old already and I'm sure that the statute of limitations has already expired or will expire soon. Can they do this? Or can I dispute this? Please help.

<blockquote>Originally posted by yari20

But I just received my report and found that there is a collection agency that is trying to collect on this account. The thing is that their information states that this account was

PLACED (??) on 8/2002. What does this mean? Are they trying to re-age it?

</blockquote>

No they're not. That only means the date the CA took over the account- has nothing to do with how long it'll stay on your files. For TU, you need to call them up and ask when the 7 years are up because they do not list that date on their reports.

They're not claiming it was opened on 8/02 but this account is old already and I'm sure that the statute of limitations has already expired or will expire soon.

</blockquote>

SOL has nothing to do with how long it stays on your report.

Can they do this?

</blockquote>

Yes

Or can I dispute this? </blockquote>

Yes, dispute as "not mine"

• 2 weeks later...

The SOL only refers to the amount of time allowed the OC to sue you. It has nothing to do with the time it remains on your report. The item will remain on your report for seven years from date of last activity. You said the account was closed in 12/97. If this is DOLA, the item will stay until 12/04. Follow Swede's advice and call TU to check on DOLA. A TU rep told me the date placed is the date they use, and, for that reason, you need to call to be sure. It could be a debt buyer trying to reage. I had found some errors on ours by calling.

Even though the SOL has passed, the CA can still attempt collection if they want, they just do not have any legal recourse. At that time, you send them a C&D and they ususally go away.

[Edit by retmar on Sunday, May 11, 2003 @ 03:35 PM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by retmar

The SOL only refers to the amount of time allowed the OC to sue you. It has nothing to do with the time it remains on your report. The item will remain on your report for seven years from date of last activity. You said the account was closed in 12/97. If this is DOLA, the item will stay until 12/04. Follow Swede's advice and call TU to check on DOLA. A TU rep told me the date placed is the date they use, and, for that reason, you need to call to be sure. It could be a debt buyer trying to reage. I had found some errors on ours by calling.

Even though the SOL has passed, the CA can still attempt collection if they want, they just do not have any legal recourse. At that time, you send them a C&D and they ususally go away.

</blockquote>

Thanks dude- I'm getting pretty tired of this issue coming up every, single day. People, SOL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RUNNING OF REPORTING PERIOD- PLEASE READ UP ON THE FCRA.