NCO Collection/ CRA Dispute

Petunia

Before I found this fab site full of knowledgable people, I paid a collection pursued by NCO. I read on the boards to either dispute the collection on my CR with the CRA and/or to send a letter requesting validation of the collection to NCO. Which is the better first step? If I understand some of the things I have read, I also have to dispute with all 3 CRA. Is that correct? Thank you all for your help.

Debt validation only works for UNpaid Collections.

The best move is to dispute as not mine with the CRA since it is already paid. It will then be up to the CA to verify the information with the CRA.

Might check your reports to see if the CA is still updating your info...if they are still sending the info in on their tapes each month, it will be harder to get off through the CRA because they get automatic verification. You'd then have to try goodwill to the CA. Good luck!

I have to respectfully disagree. You can always ask for validation on something that is on your credit report. How do they know that someone didn't open an account in your name and just didn't pay it for awhile but then in hopes they wouldn't get caught, they paid it? They don't. I have validated two paid collection accounts and have gotten them removed. Mostly they will not want to bother validating because you already paid them. What would they care anymore.

<blockquote>Originally posted by slstafford

I have to respectfully disagree. You can always ask for validation on something that is on your credit report. How do they know that someone didn't open an account in your name and just didn't pay it for awhile but then in hopes they wouldn't get caught, they paid it? They don't. I have validated two paid collection accounts and have gotten them removed. Mostly they will not want to bother validating because you already paid them. What would they care anymore.

</blockquote>

Definately, it works for both paid and unpaid. The only difference is the approach you may have to use. For paid ones, you have somewhat lower leverage and slim negotiating power so it's better to act a bit whacky in those instances which is the point of the nutcase letters developed by Psychdoc.

<blockquote>Originally posted by slstafford

You know I was going to say that but I never know what is allowed to suggest as far as other peoples letters. Thanks Swede! ;)

</blockquote>

I think pretty much anything goes as long as people aren't trolling, spamming or spouting misinformation all over the board ;)