cause for dispute?

Anonymous

I am just beginning my journey into the wonderful world of credit repair :) ! I have a few questions...

1. I experienced a case of identity fraud about 2 years ago. I did not place a fraud alert on my CR (wasn't aware that I could) Can I use this as a basis for disputing all neg. listings that occured at that time?

2. A credit report I ran 10 months ago listed a false previous address (NJ-never even lived in the state!) How can I use this as a basis for disputes?

Thanks! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

There is so much to this part to get you going in the right direction to cover your bases.

1. File Police Report - itemize all information showing up on all 3 credit reports which don't belong to you. Get a copy of the police report. It is ok if you don't have all the information at the start - you can always follow up as you go.

2. Contact all 3 of the CRAs - this will set you up with Free copy of your credit reports; opt-out of receiving junk mail, & activate a fraud alert.

Experian Info. Solutions, Inc.

PO Box 9530

Allen TX 75013

1-888-397-3742

www.experian.com

Equifax

PO Box 740241

Atlanta GA 30374-0241

1-800-525-6285

1-770-375-2821 fax

www.equifax.com

TransUnion

Fraud Victim Asst. Dept.

PO Box 6790

Fullerton CA 92834

1-800-680-7289

1-714-447-6034 fax

www.fvad@transunion.com

3. Contact the CRAs to dispute incorrect information contained in the credit report & ask them to provide you with the contact information of creditors which contributed the inaccurate information.

4. Contact the Creditors who contributed the incorrect information - ask for address for thier fraud department & what they need for you to provide regarding fraud dispute. They may need additional information - but be sure to include copy of the police report for their records they may need you to sign an ID Theft Affidavit.

5. You need to keep records of ever one whom you speak to; be sure to follow up with each company as you go - Have them forward you the results of their investigation (you may need to forward this to the CRAs) as you go.

6. Additional OPT-OUT Information: This will shut down the major contributors of junk mail; be sure to include all prior addresses; and prior names you may have used:

Opt-Out: 1-888-567-8688

Mail Preference Service

Direct Marketing Association

Removal – Mailing Lists

PO Box 9008

Farmingdale NY 11735

Telephone Preference Service

Direct Marketing Association

Removal – Telemarketing Lists

PO Box 9014

Farmingdale NY 11735

7. If you know of other sources that contributed to the ID Theft problem contact these companies: Check out the FTC for more information to help you out for sure.

Federal Trade Commission

1-877-438-4338

www.consumer.gov/idtheft

US Postal Inspection Service

www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect

Social Security Administration

1-800-772-1213

8. Recommend that you send in copy of your phone bill - showing your address & phone number to the CRAs to add a victim statement to your credit report. This is better than the Fraud Alert which only stays in affect for 3 months. The victim statement will stay on credit report for 7 years or until you write back in to remove prior to this time. Want them to add statement "please contact me prior to extending credit to verify my idenity" your phone number will show up on the credit report - so that creditors can call you should someone try to use your name to aquire credit without your knowledge.

There is more to this: but this should get you started; best of wishes - this does take time. So have heart (will help if you need assistance with specifics to your situation).

[Edit by kb9tbq on Friday, May 9, 2003 @ 06:03 AM]