Jump to content

I'm Getting Married But I have bad credit and judgements. Ne


Recommended Posts

Hope someone can help me with my question.

I am engaged to be married.

Long story short, I was in a previous marriage and after my divorce my ex-husband quit paying my court ordered spousal support without notice and without informing the court. This was rehabilitative support and I was on my way to finishing up some schooling and opening a business. I was living support check to support check and when he quit paying it threw me into a black hole. I couldn't afford to sue him and as I had moved clear accross the country it was hard to work anything out as he would have no contact with me. I finally found a support collection agency to help me recover some money (pennies really) but by that time I hadn't been able to pay bills for over a year, I had lost my apartment, I was living with friends and I had lost my car to reposession.

During this time I also had come into some trouble with my bank and they actually sued me for the amount of the last spousal support check I had gotten from my ex-husband. He had put a stop payment on that check without telling me. The Bank had released the funds to me before they caught the stop payment and when they finally told me that there had been a stop payment I had none of the money left to pay them back and because I was jobless I couldn't work anything out. Anyway, they sued me and won a judgement against me. I have been pretty much destitute since that all happened as I couldn't finish school and haven't been able to get work. I have a medical condition that prevents me from doing a lot of out of the home jobs, which is a shame.

Anyway, through all this nightmare I met someone and now we want to get married. He knows I am in debt up to my eyeballs and he knows about the judgement against me from the bank.

My question is: If we get a joint account can the bank that wona judgement agains me levy this joint account and get the money that is owed to them? He wants me to have a joint account with him because since the judgement I haven't been able to really have any bank account in my name because I have been black listed by Verisign. I am worried that all my debt previous to our marriage will carry over to him as well and I really don't know what to do. I don't want his credit to go down the hole just because he is marrying me.

I will be changing my name to his last name, so would the creditors and the bank who has a judgement against me even be able to find me after I get married and change my name?

If you have any advice I'd sure appreciate it.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's difficult to determine without other information.

Things like these are typically determined by State's UCC laws.

But, why not attack the judgement?

10:1 odds that it's not correct. Why not take care of the credit issues instead of hiding from them?

The only thing I would hide from is a debt within SOL that I know is mine, that they can prove without a legal doubt it's mine, and I couldn't negotiate a payment for deletion plan for it.

I do this all the time for clients. Perhaps you can do it for yourself or could find someone you trust to do it for you?

It's really not hard. Mostly Psychological. You need to take the power back, that you think you gave them!!!

[Edit by grendel on Sunday, May 11, 2003 @ 09:45 PM]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You definately don't want to open any joint accounts; if you are going to be added leave it to only authorized user accounts; this way the reporting will not affect your new to be spouse.

To really get to the matter; you need to get a copy of your credit reports from all 3 major credit reporting agencies.

Make a note of when you last paid each creditor; add 180 days to this to get the charge off date.

Then adding 7 years to this will indicate how long each item will remain on the credit report.

The judgment is different it will remain 7 years from the file date. You should attack this one with the CRA disputing that it is not yours; these are easier (since the creditor is not involved in verifying the judgment w/ the CRA).

On the debt which you know is within the SOL (statute of limitation) for your state - then lay low and don't dispute with the CRA (you will only accomplish waking up the collection agencies - that still have the means to legally collect).

The link for determining SOL is at the top of this page.

For the creditors that are out of the SOL; you can dispute with the CRAs "no knoledge of account" this might stir up the collection agenices (but after SOL they are all bark & no bite) so just send them a cease & desist letter.

This will take some time; but you can definately meet this task - best of wishes & congrats on your marriage. :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I am curious what you mean by "attack the judgment." I have a judgment from Providian that I would love to find a way to make it disappear. I was even willing to work out a settlement with them, but they weren't interested. Any help would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.