Book clubs keep asking for money

Anonymous

Long time back we recived a package from Disney book club; We did our best to sent that package back to Disney club but no body was there to answer our phone call or letter. Now recently

I recived a letter from some credit agency stating that we owe 30.00 to that Book club.

what should i do; I really dont want to pay for some thing we even didn't ask for ...

Are they going to send this info to CB

Thanks

It has been my experience that mail order companies like book clubs, CD clubs, and magazines DO NOT send the info to the bureaus. I can't tell you the number of magazines for example that I cancelled and they still tried getting me to pay and none of those have ever appeared on my credit report. I think the answer is a simple one and I could be wrong, but generally the amounts of money are so small with these types of debts that it might not be worth their effort to really try to collect, as I once read somewhere that they are not going to spend more money on collecting than the debt itself.

If nothing else, since you didn't order the book, demand verification from the collection agency. I highly doubt that these types of debts can be proven, since a)you said you didn't order it and b)even if you did accidentally send in a reply card or something, chances are you didn't sign anything, as those reply cards ususally don't have a place to sign them. I would be willing to bet money on that if you ask for verification that the debt belongs to you that they wouldn't be able to provide it to you.

***Disclaimer*** I am pretty new at this myself, so keep in mind that my advice is coming from a newbie herself and is mostly second hand from reading this site :) But I hope I helped.

I received a letter from a CA said I owed 52$ to Doubleday Book club. I wrote on the bottom of the letter. "Not mine, never had a membership with this book club" Sent it back to the CA and never heard from them again. That was 3 years ago and I had never joined their club. The CA gave up fast though... :D