Marking accounts as disputed

Deadwrong

If a dispute is filed directly with the CRA's are the OC's who are being disputed required to mark the accts on the CR as in dispute? And if so, how long from when dispute is submitted do they have to update the accts as being in dispute?

[Edit by Deadwrong on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 @ 04:46 AM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by Deadwrong

If a dispute is filed directly with the CRA's are the OC's who are being disputed required to mark the accts on the CR as in dispute? And if so, how long from when dispute is submitted do they have to update the accts as being in dispute?

</blockquote>

No they're not. If you inform the OC directly that they are reporting incorrect information, they may not furnish any information to the CRA without that dispute which means that if they respond to a CRA reinvestigation, they have to include that notice.

I followed you right up until this last part. Are you saying that if I reinvestigate with the CRA they have to mark it as in dispute? Or do I have to contact them in regards to the debt first, then dispute with the CRA?

<blockquote>Originally posted by Swede

which means that if they respond to a CRA reinvestigation, they have to include that notice.

</blockquote>

[Edit by Deadwrong on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 @ 05:21 AM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by Deadwrong

Are you saying that if I reinvestigate with the CRA they have to mark it as in dispute? Or do I have to contact them in regards to the debt first, then dispute with the CRA? Or do I have to contact them in regards to the debt first, then dispute with the CRA?

</blockquote>

Yes if you have informed them directly that it is incorrect.

§ 623. Responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies [15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2

(3) Duty to provide notice of dispute. If the completeness or accuracy of any information furnished by any person to any consumer reporting agency is disputed to such person by a consumer, the person may not furnish the information to any consumer reporting agency without notice that such information is disputed by the consumer.

<blockquote>Originally posted by Lorraine

Swede, What if the account was marked as disputed and then equifax took the disputed part off without notifying you ? can I use that to get it removed ??

</blockquote>

Do you mean that the CRA took off the notation after their investigation was completed?

<blockquote>

Yes if you have informed them directly that it is incorrect.

§ 623. Responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies [15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2

(3) Duty to provide notice of dispute. If the completeness or accuracy of any information furnished by any person to any consumer reporting agency is disputed to such person by a consumer, the person may not furnish the information to any consumer reporting agency without notice that such information is disputed by the consumer.

</blockquote>

Ahh it makes perfect sense now thanks for the info!!!

[Edit by Deadwrong on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 @ 08:25 AM]