TU "we received your disput from a credit repair agency

superdave

o.k. here's the deal. I sent out some letters a couple of weeks ago (before i found this board). I was disputing an item with Trans Union that they said they had previously verified (i initially disputed the item a few months ago)and i drafted the following letter. I don't know how dumb it might have been on my part to draft the letter that i sent, but they sent me a letter that they don't respond to 3rd party disputes and that "we will not take action on the dispute submitted from the credit repair agency". here is the letter i sent (remember i sent this when i was unaware of this board)

Dear Trans Union,

I recently notified your company of an error on my Trans Union credit report, yet you have not corrected the problem. I am trying to get a small business loan and your inaccurate negative credit reporting of my account is preventing me from getting a loan. You sent me a form letter that the information was correct, but there is no way that it is. I just don’t know what to do. Either correct your error or I will hold you liable for preventing me from getting this loan. I have read the FCRA and am aware that you can be held responsible for your errors. I will be forced to take legal action if you do not correct your errors.

MBNA America 5329 This information is incorrect. There was a billing error when I moved, but I was never late with payments.

P.S. If this item is not corrected, I will file complaints with the Attorney Generals Office, The Better Business Bureau, and The Federal Trade Commission. I am also sending a copy of this letter to the FTC to see if they can help me. I certainly hope that I won’t be forced seek legal action, but I will if you give me no choice.

END OF LETTER

any info on what i should do, or how i should respond would be GREATLY appreciated. This is the only negative thing i have left with trans union!

Well first off, NEVER put the words "I just don't know what to do" in a letter, even if you mean it in a different context.. someone reads those words and it stays in their minds.

I myself got that "3rd party credit repair agency" letter.. freaked me out. In the end, I wound up ignoring it, as it was a stall tactic on TU's part, and responding to it would have given them reason to add a 15 day extension to the investigation. Basically, I'd just wait out the time limit they have to verify your debt after your new dispute, and if they don't(whether or not they feel you use a credit repair agency or they feel they don't have to respond to one even if you do), drop em a letter saying get it off my record or we go to court, schmuck.