Collection agency watching my report

Faith

I recently had a negative deleted from TU. Now, I also noticed on that same report that they made an inquiry to TU. Can they do this? Do I have the right to write them and say the inquiry was unauthorized and to remove it? You know what I am thinking, that if they pull the report again in a few months and see their negative unpaid collection has been deleted, they will put it back on. How do I prevent this or give them the appropriate threat/response. What exactly is the law regarding them putting a negative back on my report. The reason I did not pay them is that it is an old phone bill from Cellular One. It got bought out by Cingular and now they are asking me for double the original bill, citing "fees" and "interest charges." I told them over the phone to pound sand and to send me an original bill or contract. They have not done so and I got it deleted from TU. Because it has already been deleted, I hesitate to send them a debt validation letter. The only reason I would do so now is to cover my a** in case they try to put the debt back on. If they put it back on, does someone have to alert me within 5 days? I am cloudy on the exact sequence of events here and how to cover myself.

[Edit by Faith on Monday, May 19, 2003 @ 07:05 AM]

Faith...

I am very interested in this too. I don't have any idea but I want to know what you come up w/. I just found out I have two deltions on TU this past dispute and they are waiting to hear from 2 more by Friday closing or they'll remove them. So I want to know if this occurs with you it can happen to anybody. I think the law should protect us from reinsertion. They had thier time and missed out! Oh Well... I'll read the FDCPA an let you know if it covers it. Where's the admin when you need her! Kb? Adsoft?

Yes, the CRA's must notify you within 5 days if an account is reinserted. If they do not, they must removed it permanently. Make sure that you have a copy of your report to prove that it was removed.

paw67

OK, so then, if it is removed by the CRA, and the collection agency is watching me, and they decide to re-insert it, and I do get notification from the CRA within the 5 days, then what do I do? On what basis can I dispute it or have it removed?

Meanwhile, I just got a call from this collection agency saying to call them if I want to resolve this "voluntarily." Here is the thing...this was originally a $500 Cellular One bill from 1998. Here it is 5 years later and now the CA is telling me it is up to almost $1000. I told them to send me something in writing like an original contract, blah, blah, blah...they never did. I disputed it with TU and they deleted it. Should I send a debt validation letter to this creditor? Looks like they did not properly validate to TU, or else it wouldn't have been deleted, right? The SOL is up next year this time. What should I do now? I mean, could they still try to sue me?