Question re: credit report and ex husband

lilgirlie289

Upon looking at my credit report I find several things on there that reflect negatively, many of which were joint accounts with my ex-husband. We were divorced 03/97 and our divorce aggreement of property and settlement clearly states which debts are his and which are mine, and that the other party is not to be responsible for them once signed. However, he did not pay these and now they are all on my credit.. Do I have any things I can do to get these off? Am I responsible??

Creditors won't honor divorce decrees (since they where not a party to it to begin with) agreeing to the terms. - before the divorce was finalized the companies should have been contacted by both parties requesting the relationships on these accounts to be terminated.

Sometimes they will; most times they require the account to be paid in full and closed. Some can also balance transfer to an account solely owned in one person's name.

Your only recourse at this point is to sue the ex-spouse for damages; since the creditors will still hold you accountable to pay on the joint accounts.

Now if there where authorized user accounts on your reports - you can dispute with the CRAs to have removed (helping out a some). But you never quite recover on the credit scoring what was initially lost. Will take time & re-building to recoup from this.