Too many disputes?

tarheel99

I am planning to send letters to the CRAs to dispute my charged-off credit card accounts and their subsequent collection entries.

How many disputed items are too many for one letter? Is it better to dispute them all at once or to do it in smaller groups?

I am disputing 5 charge-offs and 4 collections.

Thank you for your response. I will do it, as you say, "all or nothing."

Here is what I am disputing:

EQ - Previous employer I never worked for, 5 charge-offs (from 1997), 3 collections.

EX - Incorrect current address, 4 charge-offs (from 1997), 2 collections, & 1 60day late payment on an account in 1997.

TU - 3 charge-offs (from 1997), 2 collections, & 1 60day late payment in 1997.

What do you think my chances are?

Wish me luck.

That all depends on who opens your letter. All my disputes have been pretty successful, some more than others.

I started in March and heres what Ive got so far:

EQ- 1 account deleted

4 collections deleted

4 accounts updated to never late

TU- 3 accounts deleted

2 collections deleted

2 accounts updated to never late

EX- 1 account deleted

NO COLLECTIONS LISTED (thank god!)

2 accounts updated to never late

Ive also got 19 hard inquiries off EQ and 3 off TU.

Thats not counting all the crap Ive got off DH report!

<blockquote>Originally posted by tarheel99

Thank you for your response. I will do it, as you say, "all or nothing."

Here is what I am disputing:

EQ - Previous employer I never worked for, 5 charge-offs (from 1997), 3 collections.

EX - Incorrect current address, 4 charge-offs (from 1997), 2 collections, & 1 60day late payment on an account in 1997.

TU - 3 charge-offs (from 1997), 2 collections, & 1 60day late payment in 1997.

What do you think my chances are?

Wish me luck.

</blockquote>

OK, it's completely up to you, as it's your report we're talking about here, but I wanted to bring this to your attention as an option too. At another site

www.fair-credit-reporting.com

it gives actual steps to repairing your credit.

Included in these steps, after you obtain and review your report, it is suggested that you dispute in an order, I've copied and pasted it below. Again, it's completely up to you. I myself am finding that by disputing things "in order" is helping me stay alot more organized. Besides, I have heard it mentioned many times on this board that if you dispute addresses first, the accounts tied to those addresses might fall off in the process.

<blockquote>Rank Order Questionable Items on Credit Reports

Disputing credit reports successfully requires an aggressive but planned approach. Once you have carefully reviewed and corrected (disputed in writing) your personal information, the next step is to carefully review the rest of the items, note any inaccurate, incorrect, erroneous, misleading, or outdated information and then, rank order each item according to its relevant importance.

It does not matter whether the information is negative, neutral, or even positive; if it is in anyway erroneous, have it removed! An absolutely accurate credit report is paramount to determining your credit worthiness!

Rank-order according to the following order of importance:

1}Personal Data: this would be your name(s), addresses, employment info, DOB, etc.

2)Bankruptcy: included/excluded items, chapter filed, and date filed;

3)Consumer Credit Counseling: date entered counseled, progress, etc.;

4)Foreclosure; attempts, completed actions, dates, amounts, etc.;

5)Debt Consolidation Loans: amounts, dates, what debts were included, etc.;

6)Default: dates, amounts, etc.;

7)Repossessions: voluntary or involuntary, amount owed, dates, etc.;

8)Court Judgments: date, amount, type, reason, etc.;

9)Debt Collections: ensure date is delinquent date NOT date of collection actions;

10)Past Due Payments: number / amount past due, length of time, and if settled;

11)Late Payments: it's critical these dates are correct!

12)Credit Rejections: be sure it's you who was turned down, and why;

13)Credit Inquiries: be sure these pertain to you - watch for fraud. </blockquote>

Regardless of how you proceed, good luck!

:)

[Edit by almost_there on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 @ 11:08 PM]

Remember that If you contact them again with any relevent information it will extend it another 15 days to 45, see section B) below

... also, I wonder if you call back and ask for the status of account will it effect it. Try going on line and see what happens, PG will show if TL'S in dispute.

§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i]

(a) Reinvestigations of disputed information.

(1) Reinvestigation required.

(A) In general. If the completeness or accuracy of any item of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reporting agency is disputed by the consumer and the consumer notifies the agency directly of such dispute, the agency shall reinvestigate free of charge and record the current status of the disputed information, or delete the item from the file in accordance with paragraph (5), before the end of the 30-day period beginning on the date on which the agency receives the notice of the dispute from the consumer.

(B) Extension of period to reinvestigate. Except as provided in subparagraph ©, the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A) may be extended for not more than 15 additional days if the consumer reporting agency receives information from the consumer during that 30-day period that is relevant to the reinvestigation.