Authorized User Credit Reporting

Anonymous

If you are a Authorized User on a credit card.

can the credit card company report to CRA's, even if you dont want them to?

if they have, can you have that information removed from your CRA file?

my wife had me down as a authorized user of her credit card for 5 years and i did not know and it did not show up on my credit reports.

she has had 3 late payments this year and now all of the sudden, her account shows up on my credit reports, with all the good history and now the bad. i had myself removed as a authorized user and called up the credit card company and requested that they remove my wife's account from my record. they refused, they sent me a letter stating that i am not responsible for this account and no more information will be sent to the cra's. i contacted the CRA's and requested this information delete because it is not my account. they refused stating the information is accurate. they updated muy account to say "Not Responsible" (Experian Only)

how do i get this account removed?

i have never signed anything requesting a card or accepting responsiblty?

they never reported anything on my Credit report till my wife had these late payments, seems to me that there abusing there reporting powers.

what to do????????????? :confused:

Co/Creditinfocenter.com

Under FCRA:

Section § 603. Definitions; rules of construction [15 U.S.C. § 1681a]

section:

(l) Firm offer of credit or insurance. The term "firm offer of credit or insurance"

means any offer of credit or insurance to a consumer that will be honored if the

consumer is determined, based on information in a consumer report on the

consumer, to meet the specific criteria used to select the consumer for the offer,

except that the offer may be further conditioned on one or more of the following:

--> (1) The consumer being determined, based on information in the consumer's application for the credit or insurance, to meet specific criteria bearing on credit worthiness or insurability, as applicable, that are established

------->(A) before selection of the consumer for the offer; and

------->(B) for the purpose of determining whether to extend credit or insurance pursuant to the offer.

-->(2) Verification

-------->(A) that the consumer continues to meet the specific criteria used to select the consumer for the offer, by using information in a consumer report on the consumer, information in the consumer's application for the credit or

insurance, or other information bearing on the credit worthiness or insurability of the consumer; or

-------->(B) of the information in the consumer's application for the credit or insurance, to determine that the consumer meets the specific criteria bearing on credit worthiness or insurability.

-->(3) The consumer furnishing any collateral that is a requirement for the extension of

the credit or insurance that was

-------->(A) established before selection of the consumer for the offer of credit or

insurance; and

-------->(B) disclosed to the consumer in the offer of credit or insurance.

----end of FCRA snippet

In other words, only information on credit issued to a consumer is allowed. If you are an authorized user, you do not fall under these categories, you are not responsible for the debt and did not receive credit.

I have the same problem with an account that I was an AU on but I cannot get it removed from my reports. I have disputed with all 3 but have had absolutely no success. They all keep saying that the OC says that it should remain on my report. In the last dispute, EQ even sent me a note that the account was verified and will remain, because I MAY be responsible for the debt. I have also tried to send a letter via planetfeedback and had no response.

paw67

Dajr,

I had the same problem, I was an authorized user on an account that was charged off as a bad debt. On 5/22/03 at 4:00 in the afternoon I faxed the letter below to Chase. I called EQ. and EX. on 5/23 at 10:30 in the morning to check status of other disputes. I was told by both agencies that they already had received instructions to remove the account from my report. Maybe I just got lucky and the right person picked up my fax, never know, anything is worth a try. Good Luck

Attention customer support

5/22/03

Your name

123 Main Street

SSN#

215-555-0000

RE: Account# 123456789

I am informing you a serious error in your reporting of the above stated account to the credit reporting agencies. Your company reports me as an authorized user on this account. I do not have any knowledge of this account, and I did not ever request or sign any contract to become responsible, or an authorized user. I also believe rules exist that prohibit you from reporting negative information for accounts that do not belong to me. Because of the negative standing of this account my credit has been severely affected. I was recently rejected as a cosigner on a loan application. This error needs to be corrected as soon as possible. I would therefore request that you remove this account from all of my credit reports. I would also request that a letter stating this was done with the date this action was taken be sent to the above address. Thank you for your help in correcting this mistake.

Your name