I'm scared!! One week til lien placed?

Anonymous

Hi y'all! I've been away for a couple of weeks taking care of business, but have today received some scary mail.

My condo association says they don't have three of my dues payments from last year ($525) and if I don't pay by May 30, they are placing a lien on my property on June 2.

They alerted me to the missing money at the end of April.

I did pay them in 2002, back then it was a different property co. that was taking in the checks. I'm in a battle with Bank of America right now over some stuff, and my account is closed, and they will not give me copies of my checks to the home owner's association, so I don't know how to prove that I did pay.

Nevertheless, even if I did owe them money, I cannot come up with $525 in a week.

Is there anything I can do?

I really appreciate any input and support!

My experience is that most condo associations will work with you. Give them a call and try to work with them.

If they don't understand your plight in getting a mess straightened out, try to make payments to them.

Thanks Wert.

Actually, this week I was in there with the prop. manager and told her I could not pay everything and I was going to get copies of the cancelled checks to show them that I had paid those months in question.

I then paid my June dues early.

Then, today, a thank you note for paying for June and then that threatening sentence that "the board voted on it" -- I just think this is bullshit.

I guess I'm looking for some sort of legal-ese to let them know I'm not just going to bend over and let them take double my dues from me.

Another thing: if they verbally told me I could make set a payment plan up, can they reneg on that with four working day's notice before placing a lien?

I don't know what a lien does to my report anyway. This worries me and I'm flipping out.