poof! thread is gone!

lisak72

<blockquote>Originally posted by lisak72

There's a thread down below that has disappeared! Marissakay started it...can't remember which one it was about...the space is still there, but there's nothing in it?! Where did that go????

</blockquote>

Like the morning wind, it's fleeting, vanishing, a whisp of memory, gone forever, only the memory of it's beauty remains. The mantis weeps, the grasshopper mourns, the soft gentle breeze of spring afternoon spurts in victory..

Gods, I really need to stop listening to these nature sound CD's while I'm on the computer..

Are you sure it's the CD's and not illicit drugs? :D

Hey, is The Blue Nowhere referring to the book by Jeff Deaver?

Back on topic, I don't know if this may be an issue, but while the site was down, all our registration info was available for all to see (ie: login / password). Might want to consider changing passwords.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll work out well. Computer geek/entrepeneur/budding credit repair fiend/adrenaline junkie/feminine poet.

Doesn't really have a very good ring to it.. I think I'll leave the girlie stuff to Yanni :p

<blockquote>Originally posted by DocDon

Back on topic, I don't know if this may be an issue, but while the site was down, all our registration info was available for all to see (ie: login / password). Might want to consider changing passwords.

</blockquote>

Not really in reference to the book, though it was a good book. It's an old cracking(hacking to the laman's) reference. The Blue Nowhere refers to back when IBM(aka Big Blue) ruled supreme, and hackers were considered the frontiermen of the new virtual world(as opposed to the rebellious--yet mysteriously cool-- rogues, and in the case of guys like Mitnick, felons, we're known as today). It would draw the curious in, which is the basis for cracking(curiosity). Once you start, you can't stop, because there's just no limit to the amount of information the curious can gather. Which, all said and told, is where Deaver got the name for his book(as it was about crackers)

[Edit by Xanathos on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 @ 04:24 PM]

<blockquote>Originally posted by DocDon

</blockquote>

For what...this site? I forgot I even had a password...hahaha! I can't even remember what was required to register here that they would have access to other than my e-mail address.

<blockquote>Originally posted by Xanathos

Not really in reference to the book, though it was a good book. It's an old cracking(hacking to the laman's) reference. The Blue Nowhere refers to back when IBM(aka Big Blue) ruled supreme, and hackers were considered the frontiermen of the new virtual world(as opposed to the rebellious--yet mysteriously cool-- rogues, and in the case of guys like Mitnick, felons, we're known as today). It would draw the curious in, which is the basis for cracking(curiosity). Which, all said and told, is where Deaver got the name for his book(as it was about crackers)

<blockquote>

Never knew that. I thought Big Blue was the fatal exception screen that welcomes me when I boot Windows :D. Sounds like a good read. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

LOL no, that's BSOD--also known as the Blue Screen of Death. If you get that you're somewhere--you're in "You'reScrewedVille". The Nowhere is everywhere and.. you guessed it--nowhere, at the same time :p.

If you pick up the book, be sure to read the glossary provided at the end before you read the story itself. There are a lot of cracking terms you'll need to know, as Deaver throws them around the story to add credibility to it(ala the different colored "hats" of a cracker, etc.)

<blockquote>Originally posted by lisak72

For what...this site? I forgot I even had a password...hahaha! I can't even remember what was required to register here that they would have access to other than my e-mail address.

</blockquote>

I clicked on an "x" box when the site was down and up popped the server info with our user names, passwords, email and post history. No, I didn't look at anyone else's.

It's not a big deal that someone may have gotten my disposable email address. I just changed my password in case someone wanted to post in my name.

<blockquote>Originally posted by Xanathos

If you pick up the book, be sure to read the glossary provided at the end before you read the story itself. There are a lot of cracking terms you'll need to know, as Deaver throws them around the story to add credibility to it(ala the different colored "hats" of a cracker, etc.)

</blockquote>

Will do. Thanks!

Everyone go find their favorite virus and download it :p. Admin's gonna send me the logs, and once I trace that little bastard who thought he was cool because he could crack a low-security message board, his IP address is getting plastered all over this damn site for people to play with(unless the lovely Admin flicks me on the nose and goes NO! Bad Xan! No biscuit!")

Hey Doc,

You found the users info available also eh? I found it last week and have been waiting for the Admin to fix it. I noticed it was fixed this morning. This issue really makes me bad because I can't even change my password on this site. Also about my user file, I noticed that the dates were encrypted in the file but the password itself was not. Who ever wrote the perl script for this board needs to add more features ( I was going to call that person names ;) ) like being able to change your password and also when user information is kept on a file, it needs to be encrypted by default. BTW, I hadn't mentioned the problem before because I didn't want everyone looking at everyone else info then posting under them. Now I wonder how many others saw the info...... hmmmmmm

<blockquote>Originally posted by Crabjoe

Hey Doc,

You found the users info available also eh? I found it last week and have been waiting for the Admin to fix it. I noticed it was fixed this morning. This issue really makes me bad because I can't even change my password on this site. Also about my user file, I noticed that the dates were encrypted in the file but the password itself was not. Who ever wrote the perl script for this board needs to add more features ( I was going to call that person names ;) ) like being able to change your password and also when user information is kept on a file, it needs to be encrypted by default. BTW, I hadn't mentioned the problem before because I didn't want everyone looking at everyone else info then posting under them. Now I wonder how many others saw the info...... hmmmmmm

</blockquote>

Well, I didn't go looking for it, it was available right on the homepage for all to see. Let's hope it gets fixed permanently.

At least it doesn't contain any sensitive personal info - then I would be pissed.

I just went into the "user cp" link above and changed my password.