please help: when only PART of debt validated

Anonymous

This thing has been killing me for years and is the last negative info on my Equifax report.

A university is claiming I owe roughly $200. $150 is for allegedly unpaid tuition (i.e. on credit hour) and $50 is for library fines (from five or six years ago).

The school and the CA can totally validate the first part, but definitely NOT the second, since the library pitched the records. They have admitted as much. I cannot prove that I paid the tuition (i.e. no cancelled check or other bank record).

Since they can only validate HALF of the debt, any chance I could get this deleted by writing/hammering/threatening to sue Equifax? Or will the CRA simply update the amount I owe?

I'm gonna get nowhere with the school or CA -- they are Nazis and will not budge.

This will fall off my report in 20 months, but I'm applying for mortgages soon and I know they'll make me pay it. My fear, though is that it will show up as a paid collection on my other two reports (it doesn't show up currently).

Thanks!

<blockquote>Originally posted by fixitquick

This thing has been killing me for years and is the last negative info on my Equifax report.

A university is claiming I owe roughly $200. $150 is for allegedly unpaid tuition (i.e. on credit hour) and $50 is for library fines (from five or six years ago).

The school and the CA can totally validate the first part, but definitely NOT the second, since the library pitched the records. They have admitted as much. I cannot prove that I paid the tuition (i.e. no cancelled check or other bank record).

Since they can only validate HALF of the debt, any chance I could get this deleted by writing/hammering/threatening to sue Equifax? Or will the CRA simply update the amount I owe?

I'm gonna get nowhere with the school or CA -- they are Nazis and will not budge.

This will fall off my report in 20 months, but I'm applying for mortgages soon and I know they'll make me pay it. My fear, though is that it will show up as a paid collection on my other two reports (it doesn't show up currently).

Thanks!

</blockquote>

What is credit hour?

I'm not an expert but this is what I would do, hopefully some people with more experience than me will jump in.

I would request FULL VALIDATION down to the penny!!

If they are reporting $200 buck to your CR(CREDIT REPORT) and can only validate $150, then they (THE CA)are might be violating the FDCPA:

(8) Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person credit information which is known or which should be known to be false, including the failure to communicate that a disputed debt is disputed.

I'm not a expert and maybe some of the more experienced members can jump in here. But I would offer $150 bucks and have them remove the TL because,"no fault of theirs of course" the university gave them the wrong information. So it was a mistake, .... the FTC understands that MISTAKES happen and if they remove the info they might not be breaking the law.

... I'm not an expert but that's what I would do. I think if you can find that there was a mistake and make it look like it was nobody's fault it might be easier to get it off your report. I saw somewhere that the FTC requires "CREDIT REPAIR AGENCIES" to give prospective clients a disclaimer which states mistakes happen. .... I'm not sure but that might mean the CA might not get in trouble with the FTC if they can prove that there was a mistake. ..... that way everybody is happy.

... Just a suggerstion I could be wrong.

Good luck