When you've done almost everything

Highrisk

OK, thanks to this board and all the great advice, my score went from 525 up to 601 on TU. I got several deletions on my first round of disputes. Even got a huge paid collection account removed.

I still have a few small collection items on my report though. A couple of small items under a hundred dollars (paid a few years back, won't drop off report for another 4 years), one unpaid medical collection for $600 and an unpaid collection for $200 to AT&T. I have not paid these for obvious reasons, i.e. extending the reporting time.

Finally, my reports all show a household bank credit card with a paid charge off of like $8000. This is wrong. I became delinquent, made arrangements to make payments over the next year and it was supposed to show as a settlement in full for less than the full balance. Which it initially did until I disputed the item twice on the grounds of never late. Now it shows as a charge-off and I disputed it again. I also called Household and asked them why they are reporting it this way. They indicated they show it NOT as a charge-off but as a settlement and they said they would send a letter to the credit bureaus. Should I have not contacted Household and just hoped they would delete it altogether? The first two disputes did not work so I figure they would just report it as a settlement at best.

Will my score go up with changing it from a charge off to a settlement?

Should I send debt validation to the two unpaid collection accounts and at worst agree to pay in exchange for deletion?

Is there any way to get paid collections off?

I appreciate your help as my score IS improving, albeit slowly and one deletion at a time.

If you disputed Household twice to the CRA's and they verified/updated it to a charge off. Send them the letter that you have from Household saying that they will report is as settled. Usually, from what I have seen, it stays as a charge off and they report it as "Settle for less than balance". Yes, they can do this. If you want to get the charge off removed, just keep sending the letters to Household and see if they will budge and give you what you want. Nutcase letter is good here.

Usually, if you send a dispute letter to a Credit Reporting Agency disputing a paid collection that is over 6 months old, they will not be able to verify it. If they do verify the debt is yours, you can try sending a DV letter to the CA or a nutcase letter. Good Luck ~WAG

<blockquote>Originally posted by ONEOFDWAGS

Usually, if you send a dispute letter to a Credit Reporting Agency disputing a paid collection that is over 6 months old, they will not be able to verify it. If they do verify the debt is yours, you can try sending a DV letter to the CA.

</blockquote>

.... When you request the DV from the CA, what should you get back, full validation or a check of what you paid the CA for???

If they can't full validate what you paid, can you sue them for misrepresenting the debt or did you start a new contractual obligation upon paying for the charged off debt.????

I guess I should be happy to have a 4000 paid collection deleted, but I still have two small paid collection accounts on there that have repeatedly been verified. They are 3 years old. Guess I will have to be persistent.

I was hoping that they'd just delete that household paid collection altogether. That would be a big relief.

If you have paid the debt, I would send a letter that you paid the collection before you understood your rights and would like full validation otherwise you want it removed from your Credit Reports. If they try to validate with anything but a signature on a contract for you to pay them, I would continue to validate it. From what I have learned here on this website, is that validation is "ONLY" in the form of YOUR signature saying that you owe the debt. If they cannot validate the debt, you can send your 15 day followup with intent to sue. If they still refuse to remove it, continue with the 48 hour and 2 hour intent to sue, but make sure you intend to sue them for not validating your debt. They are required to validate the debt according the the FDCPA. When you send off your 15 day notice, make sure that you file a complaint with the BBB and the AG office where you live. Once you have all the paperwork: letters to CRA's, 30 day DV letter with CMRRR(or fax transmittal), 15 Day CMRRR(or fax transmittal), 48 Hour ITS fax transmittal, 2 hour fax transmittal, Letter from AG Office if they could not resolve the issue, and the letter from BBB. Now you take them to Small Claims and get a judgement against them. The reason for all the letters is to show that you have a paper trail. Paper trail is the key.

Summary:

.... When you request the DV from the CA, what should you get back, full validation or a check of what you paid the CA for???

No, this is not validation.

If they can't full validate what you paid, can you sue them for misrepresenting the debt or did you start a new contractual obligation upon paying for the charged off debt.????

I don't think you started a new contractual obligation. I think this only represents activity. That is the reason for using the "I didn't know my rights and don't believe this belongs to me, please prove it". The please is optional. =) ~WAG

good god people.

the fdcpa does not REQUIRE them to validate the debt. it says that if they can't provide validation, then they cannot report the information to a cra.

if you can't get the paid collection removed, try sending a procedural request to the cra (which is a right that you are alloted, find a sample letter above) this requires the cra to provide you with contact info on the verification. who they called and whatever else... you can catch them here if they have not properly requested verification.

you can try d/v with a paid collection... hit or miss. they may call your bluff in terms of law suits...

and paid collections are only 'sometimes' easy to remove, it just depends on how good the record keeping is... so that it just another hit or miss. does any of this help?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, I think it may be my only hope. The only other negative things on my report are two unpaid collections. One to a doc and another to ATT. I think I am going to tell them I will pay if they delete. Otherwise, it does me no good to pay since all it does is re-age the item and show as a paid collection. I think paying down my balance on a good tradeline is another good score builder.