To sign or not to sign... that is the question

I've read a couple of different things about signing DV letters.

I know some people think that you should not give the CA's anything with your signature on it...

but I've also read somewhere that it isn't a legit request if it doesn't hold your siggy and they can request for you to sign the paper.

Do you sign or not and why?

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

I don't see anything in FDCPA that requires signature. But, I have read accounts of CA's using signature to forge paperwork for validation.

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

I don't see anything in FDCPA that requires signature. But, I have read accounts of CA's using signature to forge paperwork for validation.

Good point.

You can always call the FTC and ask them or send them a letter. I'm sure they will respond.