ford motor credit

Got a call today from ford motor credit

my step son answered the phone and they

asked if steve was there he said yes.

When he said yes they said do you still live at xxxxxx he said yes they said well you will be severed a lawsuit in the near future ford is suing you for lack of payment on your repoed car. and then they hung up --now what do we do

my husband and i had a car repoed from them back in Jan of this year and my step son and i both know that meassge was for my husband ....Should i just wait

until we get the papers or what this is the first that we have heard from Them

since the repo ..I do know what they got for the car at the sale and i know what we owed....If i need to get a lwayer what type and any reccomadation im in Pa.

I think that you need to do debt validation immediately before you are served papers. Because you can do a no receipt of debt validation when you go to court. Also, since Ford Credit gave information to someone that they are not suppose to, you can sue Ford Credit for violating the privacy act in which they are not allowed to give anyone except the debtor information too. Good luck. I think you have a crisp and clean chance of winning this!!!

I have all the paperwork all ready from ford --I have the orginal contract, all cancleed checks --the paperwork from the repo placed that tells me what was due to reclaim the van and i also know whjo brought the car at the auction and what they paid for it....

I never got any paperwork or notice from a ca or lawyer..

You could probably do a debt validation letter to the recovery center even though you have the paperwork. They need to be able to prove the debt. The phone call should not serve as notice to you about anything, because they did not talk to you and you were not served with any paperwork or information what so ever. Unfortuanetly, I don't know much about the way you could come back at them about breaking the privacy act. You could search on this site and see what you may find. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I too had a car repoed from Ford Motor in 1989. They called to verify the address, and then sent me a letter stating that the truck which was only 2 years old at the time and had only 27000 miles on it only sold for 1800.00 at auction. They letter stated that I owed the balance of the loan which was still 10,000.00. I obtained a lawyer who sent them a letter regarding selling the vehicle far below book value and in essence gave the car away. He also stated the I could have sold the vehicle a 10 times the value. He then sent the letter via CMRRR and I never heard from them again. My attorney said that a lot of times they use a lot of smoke and mirrors and scare tactics to make you pay. Before you panic and worry yourself to death, get an attorney that deals with repos and bankruptcy. They will help alot and remember, you can't get blood from a turnip.

If it's a third party law firm, do a debt validation on them. Otherwise, from what you've said over the past several months, I would think you were judgment proof (meaning they probably know you don't have the money to pay, so why bother spending money on court costs?)

• 6 months later...

I received a summons from a lawyer's office for a car repoed that was sold on an auction, now I am liable for almost 11k.

I was not served in person, they left the papers in my old address, but apparently I was not properly served because I entered the case number in civil cases in miamidade.gov, and it gives me an error.

Where can I check the case status without having to call Ford undersigned attorney.

Can they get a judgment against me, without notifying me at my new address. I don't know if my ex has been served yet. (I am co-defendant)

In the summons they say they can take my wages and properties, I owned a car of 4k.

Any suggestion?

The summons probably says they MAY be able to take you property and garnish wages. There are exemptions from judgment just as in bankruptcy, so there's plenty they CANNOT touch as long as you file your exmeptions with the court.

You can check the case status by calling the court where the lawsuit was filed.

[Edit by LadynRed on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 @ 09:19 AM]