default on furniture loan

i am in default on my furniture loan account, and i have moved and they do not know where i am. can they take my furniture? what if i say no? what can they do then? can thye have me arrested for theft by convertion? i am in georgia a they told me they wanted the furniture or they would have me arrested. i feel like this if they are going to scew my credit up and mark my account bad. then why give them the furnoture back. i don't generaly go around doing this but, why let them have it after i paid it half off.what do you think?

I know of no furniture that could convince me it was worth doin' jail time for it. It's only furniture.

If you managed to pay half of what's owed on this furniture, you can manage to pay the other half on it. Pay up or give it back. Next time you want furniture, go to Goodwill and pay cash.

People need to be careful with the purchase of hard line merchandise such as appliances, computers, furniture and the like because many lenders, i.e. Sears have security interest in these items. They won't come after an old pair of jeans, but they might send out the sheriff to reclaim that big screen TV!

I think it depends on the furniture store. If its one of those rent to own places.. I think they try to pick up the furniture. It never helps to run from your problems. Call them and explain your financial problems and work out some type of payment plan. Its not worth ruining your credit or going to jail over a couch.. :)

<blockquote>Originally posted by mrwilliam

i don't generaly go around doing this but, why let them have it after i paid it half off.what do you think?

</blockquote>

I don't think this site is promoting a "take the merchandise and run" philosophy. They should have the furniture because you signed an agreement that says they get it back if you don't fully pay it off. The fact that you have paid half on it is the incentive to get the other half paid off. If all they want is the furniture, let them have it. But, they really don't want you furniture (not their first choice)--they want your money. If they can also come after you for extra fees & crap, you may have to negotiate.