Jump to content


Recommended Posts

HELP! one day i decided to check my credit report and found a judgement against me for medical bills, amounting to 1122. i was never served and had no idea that this even existed. i called the person who was suing me and the said that if i pay 857, then they will call the collection agency and settle.

my ultimate question is how can i get this judgement off of my credit report, especially being that i was never served.

warmest regards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you NEED to do is call the courthouse and get copies of the judgment and copies of the 'proof of service'. This will tell you how/when/where they supposedly served you. Be aware that in many states, if the summons isn't returned, it is considered 'served'. Service can also be done by 'publication' - meaning they post a notice in the newspaper where your last known address was. This in iteself constitutes proper service -although I think its ludicrous in this day and age.

So, you need the proof of service and the laws on service of process in that state to know whether you stand a chance of challenging the judgment based on improper service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.