Judgment/Different State

I need help. I purchased a car in FL in 96, moved to GA 97, was laid off, car repossessed in 98. Found out thru cred rep that I have a judgment for bal of car. I was never served. Ea cred bur have different amts(14000+, 7000+ & 1500+). Disputed this by cert mail to bank & cred burs. Bk ignored me, cred burs sd it was verified as mine. Called cred burs to send me what proof was being given 2 them, they said they didn't have to give me proof, only the creditor. Can I petition the court in Fl to vacate this, and can it be done by mail?

Cyntsational

Yes, you can petition the court to have the judgment vacated due to improper service.

First, call the courthouse where your judgment was entered and ask to have copies of all the paperwork in the court file sent to you. Then you'll have an idea of where to begin - I'm not up on GA laws and statutes (the judgment was issued by a GA court, right?) but you'll be looking for the method used to serve you.

From there, if the service is improper (i.e., they didn't serve you by notice in the newspaper) then you can call the courthouse again and ask them to send you the proper forms for petitioning to have the judgment vacated.

HTH, I've never had to deal with a judgment, but this is my understanding of how it works.

The judgment was filed in FL where I used to lived & where the car was purchased. I have searched the Fl county(Broward) clerk of the courts, for information regarding vacating a judgment; nothing. I will call them this week for more info. Any info is appreciated. Thank You.