Not Ours!

Got a letter from a DB for a supposed debt far beyond the SOL. The company mentioned we have never done business with. The only reason I know of the date range is due to the area of the company. The letter had the normal inuendos. I have found they made two soft ones on us. My main question is:

On a debt far beyond the SOL, is a CA/DB in their rights to make inquiries on a consumer knowing they have no legal recourse for the debt. As I read the law, they don't. Am I right or wrong?

[Edit by retmar on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 @ 12:16 AM]

The state SOL doesn't figure into their permissable purpose. Its for collection activity and therefore allowed. Even though they have no hope of enforcing a collection, the debt is still owed and they can continue to try to collect.

Send then a cease and desist letter telling them to go away as the debt is time-barred. Here's a link to a really good one for expired SOL debt.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Y-Chat/WhyChatsCredit/page3.html

Ladynred, thanks for the answer. Your referenced letters are quite good. I shall keep them.

I had already sent the proper DV and C&D. It is just that they haven't responded and was getting my second letter ready, which isn't going to be nice.

I, myself, feel it should be wrong if they know they have no legal recourse.