Statute of Limitations is up, but..

My boyfriend and I are in the process of applying for a mortage (his first, my 2nd) and trying to clean up his credit report. There is one item on there, balance stated at $84 from AT&T, when he called on it it had been sold to Gulf State Credit (cringe) and the amount is now $272.00. The statute of limitations on this expired May 2002, he just recieved his first letter from Gulf State yesterday demanding payment. Should we go ahead and try to get a physical address, send money order payment certified mail for this amount ($272) and get it over with for the mortage process, or should we tell them the statute of limitations is up and the amount is in dispute, go away?

Debt validation would be the way to go to go, you could press the recommended time period in the case up.

But if you can't wait, don't tell them you are getting a mortgage. Settle with them for half (at the very least). You could get the paid collection off of your credit report later.

• 1 month later...

Send a validation letter to Gulf Credit. I did over an AT T account that they said I owed a hundred dollars on. I went to ATT and they had no record of it as most ATT stuff is a result of them buying other companies like Viacom. The CRA's all deleted it.

How come the date of last activity for a particular credit card with Cross Country that was charged off has different dates on each credit report. If i wan't this removed what type of documentation when sending a validation letter should i expect to recieve? It states 8/96 but i know it was early than that in which case the seven years could be up this year as opposed to next year...help..